We're Toast

Sundew and Willow walked back to the pond in pure silence. 

Once they reached, Willow finally spoke, "Thanks for saving me." 

"Yeah, yeah." Sundew grumbled. "No big deal." 

"Sundew, look!" Willow was amazed at how the pond looked when touched by the light of dawn. Everything was suddenly so reflective. The water was suddenly a veil, and below it was gravel. All different colors of gravel. It was a beautiful sight.

When Willow received no response, she turned around. "Sundew?" But Sundew was gone. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sundew considered herself a very stealthy dragon. Not now. She beat her wings as fast as her body allowed her to, and crashed into a few unsuspecting trees doing so. 

Anything to get back to her nest before her village woke up. Which wasn't by the looks of it, much longer. 

How could I be so STUPID?! She chastised herself. I need to be more careful! I need to fly fast. Belladonna won't believe the same excuse twice. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sundew was in her nest by the time Belladonna went to check on her. She fake yawned and pretended to stretch, silently hoping Belladonna wouldn't ask any questions.

"Get up!" Belladonna snarled. "We have things to discuss."

Oh no. Sundew felt a sense of dread creeping on her. Is this about Willow? Did she find out? Is she going to tell everyone what a disappointment I am? I wouldn't be surprised if she did. Even if this isn't about Willow, it's gonna be bad.

"Listen," Belladonna hissed. "Your father and I are going on a trip, so you're gonna be in charge."

"A trip?" Sundew echoed. "Where to?" 

"That's none of your business! But you have to still be here and watch over the village!" Belladonna's eyes narrowed. "No funny business."

"No promises," Sundew muttered.

"WHAT WAS THAT?!" Belladonna's yell was a sharp pain in Sundew's ear. 

"Nothing, nothing!" Sundew quickly yelped, trying her best look of innocence. 

"You're on thin ice....." Was Belladonna's last words to her before stalking away.

When was I not? Sundew sighed.

"SUNDEW!" cried another familiar voice. Mandrake ran over to her with a sheepish grin on his face. "I need some help....."

Sundew facetaloned. "Of course you do. What do you need?"

"Follow me!" He replied. 

Mandrake was the dragon Sundew was supposed to marry. Since both of them had leafspeak and were the only dragonets in the village with leafspeak, the idea was that their dragonets would have even stronger leafspeak than them. Sundew didn't want to marry Mandrake though. He was someone she could easily beat. Someone she could easily kill. But she wouldn't go that far. Her parents would be BEYOND mad if she killed Mandrake.

Mandrake led her to his nest and pulled out a seed. A chokecherry tree seed. "I need help with growing this seed." 

"MANDRAKE!" Sundew cried, mad at Mandrake, but at the same time, astonished that Mandrake had it in him to break a rule. 

Every dragon within earshot jumped, startled. 

Her voice dropped to a whisper. "You know that you can't grow trees here! Just small plants!"