Second year | Terrible day, really

Börja om från början

Blaise laughed, "You're so bad!"

"I know." I flipped my hair dramatically.

We saw Professor Sprout walking to us, next to her was Gilderoy Lockhart.

"Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to Doctor a whomping willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better than she is! I just happen to have met several of these exotic plants on my travels..."

"Greenhouse three today, chaps!" Professor Sprout announced.

She wasn't her usual happy self, which peaked everyone's interest.

"That mindset is exactly how Caesar died in Shakespeare's play." I mumbled.

Lockhart asked to keep Harry back to have a talk with him. So we went into the greenhouse and saw a bunch of pots with green leaves sticking out. Aside were earmuffs.

"Mandrakes, Great." I sighed.

"How do you know?" Blaise asked.

I pointed to the pots, "The leaves are recognizable, and the earmuffs are a dead give away."

"You know her, probably read it in a book." Millicent smirked.

Harry got back in and we all grabbed earmuffs, avoiding the big pink fluffy ones that were in the pile.

"We'll be repotting Mandrakes today. Now, who can tell me the properties of the mandrake?"

I knew it, but figured I'd take the next question. Hermione's hand shot up, to no one's surprise.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative." said Hermione, as usual sounding like she'd eaten books for breakfast.

"It is used to return people who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state."

"Excellent, Ten points to Gryffindor." Said Professor Sprout.

"The Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also, however, dangerous. Who can tell me why?"

I shot my hand up in the air as Hermione did, she narrowly missed Harry's glasses.

"Miss Riddle?"

"The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it. If they're still young, like these, then the most they can do is knock you out for a few hours." I smiled.

"Well done, Ten points to Slytherin." Professor Sprout then made us put on earmuffs as she demonstrated.

I won't lie, the mandrakes were ugly little things. We split into groups of four and went to our trays, I had Millicent, Blaise, and Malfoy.

"This is going to be interesting." Blaise sighed.

"Don't worry, they're still young so their cries won't kill us. It'll only knock us out for a few hours." I reassured him.

"Yeah, that helps." Millicent said sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the plant's leaves firmly and pulled. The thing was nasty and crying when it was brought out.