f i f t y s e v e n

Start from the beginning

"This is only if you don't move out of your dorm room. This is only worst case scenario if you don't listen to me, my darling. You just have to listen." He smiles wickedly and I take another step back.

"Are—Are you blackmailing me?" I stutter, too loss for words to even form a coherent sentence in my brain.

"Blackmail is such a strong word.I'm just saying that if you don't want Chase to go to jail, you will move out of the dorm and never talk to him again. Trust me, you'll start to see clearer and you'll finally realise how much you want to be with me. I'm in love with you Hayden. I have been ever since that night we met in the elevator. I mean, an elevator- how fucking romantic is that?" Luke grins brightly and I fold my arms across my chest. Romantic? A lot of people die in elevators—that shit ain't romance. "So how about we stop lying and finally admit our true feelings."

True feelings? The only true feelings I'm experiencing is terror, anxiousness and hunger. But hunger is irrelevant—I'm always fucking hungry.

Now I realised why he wanted to meet in the library. For one it was quiet enough to have a conversation like this but it was public enough to ensure I wouldn't make a scene if I had to. Luke was scarily intelligent—I had always known this.

He then bursts in excitement, "And it's great timing too because a room just opened up in Arlington!" 

"How do you know?" 

"A little birdie told me." Luke smirks and I roll my eyes. Would this little birdie just so happen to start with L, end with, A and have no fucking H? "If you're too scared to go the police, Hayden baby, I can do it for you. We're in this together." 

"We're not in this together. We're not even fucking together, you sick freak." I place my palms down on the table, "The only person getting arrested here is you." 

"I knew you were going to be like this so I guess you leave me no choice." Luke sighs before he swipes through his phone a couple times, "If you think I just took picture sof you and Chase, you're wrong baby girl. I have pictures of you friends doing some really naughty things. Some of them are clear images of them ignoring their court sentences."

He shows me the images. Of Vera, of Penn, of Noah and Levi. All of them extremely incriminating and all of them sitting in the wrong hands. 

"These are also not the only copies, just in case you got your blonde friend to try and hack me." He grins as he slips his phone into the pocket of his pants, "I would also suggest leaving your friends alone and never talking to them again as well, otherwise they'll just become collateral." 

I felt like I was going to faint as I started to sway from left to right. I also felt like I was going to vomit out my entire stomach lining. 

"Unless you're selfish like that. But I wouldn't love you any less." He assures me, like it was the only thing I was fucking worried about in that moment. He then stands from his chair and pulls his bag up from the ground. "I'm doing this for you Hayden; you're just distracted. You'll soon see once you're away from Chase and all your fucking fake friends. Trust me." 

Luke then walks around the table. I was too shocked to move; frozen in time and sitting prey to a hideous monster. He places a hand on my shoulder and his lips to my temple. 

"I love you." He grins before patting my head like a fucking dog and quietly leaves through the surrounding aisles of books. 

When he was gone, I drop to my knees before the table and rest my forehead against the edge. I close my eyes as a tear rolls down my cheeks. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't see, I couldn't fucking think. I was heaving heavily and i was shaking everywhere. Is this a panic attack? I don't have have a fucking clue.