Chapter 24: Chiara

Start from the beginning

Did that mean... you enjoyed it?

"Oh- uh- I did too. From what I remember. Again... I'm sorry. I should've behaved better."

"It's alright, Toshinori. I forgive you. And you don't have to worry about me telling Audioma-"

"Audioma?" He interrupted. "Why would she care?"

Now was the best opportunity he could spot to set things straight about their relationship. Luckily, you took the bait.

"Well, with you two dating and stuff-" you fished.

"We're not dating." He stated bluntly. "And I have no interest in her."

"O-oh!" You stuttered, trying to hide the apparent delight on your face and in your voice. You felt so relieved that you had been misreading signs. Days of stress and worry melted away from you. Your way to Toshi was becoming more and more clear.

"She is just a business acquaintance. You don't have to worry, (y/n)" he smiled and ruffled your hair.

"Why would I be worried?" You tried to sound nonchalant.

"Oh, no reason." He was beaming now. He'd definitely caught your smile at his single status, and you had said you hadn't minded him kissing you. Things couldn't possibly have gone much better. He internally thanked the villain who'd stabbed him and inadvertently set these events in motion. He decided to test his luck. "Anyways, how was your date with Akemi?"

"It was okay... We had pizza and watched a movie. It was fun... but-"

"But what?"

"I-I think he's better as just a friend..." You confessed after sitting and pondering your time with him last night.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure there's someone out there for you."

Like me, he thought to himself.

He decided to try his luck one final time, just to see how far this lucky streak would take him. "How about I take you out to dinner tomorrow night to thank you for all you've done for me and to get your mind off of it. Somewhere i've been wanting to take you for a while."

The blush in your cheeks that was just starting to diminish came back in full force, an ecstatic grin spreading across your face.

"I'd love that."

"Great! It's a date!" He choked out, his signature grin beaming that much brighter. "How about I pick you up after your outing with Saffron?"

"My outing with Saffron?" You asked. As far as you knew, you didn't have any plans with Saffron.

As soon as Toshinori realized his mistake he slapped his hand over his mouth. He wasn't supposed to tell you. Saffron was taking you to get your dress fitting that day, which they knew would be an uncomfortable experience for you, so they decided to surprise you last minute before you could protest.

"It's- nothing. I lied. Whoops!" Toshinori stammered. "We should probably get up and get some training in! I have a patrol soon and- "

"What? No! Toshinori, you tell me what you meant about 'plans with Saffron'! Is something happening I don't know about??"

He tried to ignore you, to heave himself out of bed and head to the gym, but you were on him in an instant, shooting out of the white bed sheets like a leaping on top of him faster than he thought you were capable of moving. You effectively pinned him down and demanded he tell you what he had meant by his comment. It was panic induced on your part, something you wouldn't have dared do under normal circumstances, but in the moment you didn't even think about how indecent it was. Toshinori absolutely did, however. He felt his face flush. He could have easily thrown you off, but he thought your attempt was just too cute. Plus, he loved the physical closeness. He had to let you stay there, perched upon his lap.