Ch. 38- The Event

Start from the beginning

"That is fine. You will return to the cells where you can continue with your questioning. I can hear your screams sometimes, but I promise you, with how I know how to torture? I can make you scream so loud, you'll be begging for mercy." Vespera explained. Sophie shut up quickly after that.

"That is what I thought. I will send someone to help you get ready. After that, you will have a highly trained Neverseen member follow you around the event, and keep you on a close leash. You will not speak a word, and you will do as you are told. Is that understood?" Vespera snapped. Sophie stayed silent, not wanting to give her an answer.

"I will take your silence as a yes," Vespera said, closing the door. Sophie clenched her fists and stormed around the room, hating to be used as some figurehead against her will. Sophie picked up a bottle of expensive perfume and was about to chuck it at the door in her anger until he heard a soft knock.

"Madam Ruewen? I'm here to dress you." A feminine voice sounded from the other side of the door. Sophie put down the bottle and readied her body in case it was an attacker.

"Come in," Sophie announced. The woman who entered wasn't an attacker at all, but a meek young girl, maybe a little older than Sophie.

Her skin was a beautiful chocolate brown, and her eyes were a soft shade of sapphire blue. She long brown hair was tied into cornrows and tied up behind her head. She wore a simple pine green dress and brown shoes.

"I'm sorry we are meeting under these circumstances, but I am Maha. I am here to make you all dolled up to show off your loss of freedom." Maha explained, walking in holding a basket of rags and products. Sophie snorted and relaxed around her.

"At least someone knows what's going on here," Sophie said, walking over to the wardrobe and opening the doors, revealing some poofy dress she was supposed to wear.

"I hear you are quite the firecracker. I have wanted to meet you for a long time now." Maha said talking the dress from the wardrobe and laying it down on the bed.

"Yeah well, not much I can do except listen to the witch until I find a chance to escape," Sophie said, sitting down at a vanity as Maha started with ehr hair. Maha stayed silent after that last comment, deep in her thought. She put Sophie's hair up in a loose yet elegant bun and secured it with silver clips.

"You have stunning features," Maha said quietly, starting on Sophie's makeup.

"Ironically, I got them from my father. If he went anywhere, he was always flocked by women, but he just had no interest in them. It was quite disgusting to think about as a child though, the concept that someone would be romantically interested in your father. Plus I was scared if he got a new lover he would forget about me and then he would leave too, just like my mother did. I know now, though that my father would've never done that." Sophie said, fiddling with her silver amulet on her chest. Sophie still had a hard time remembering which memory it was when he gave her the amulet, but she could still feel the warmth of his hands when he handed it to her.

"I'm so sorry about your mother. You are an elf, correct?" Maha asked. Sophie still is hiding under her elven identity, not advertising that she is a hidden Vatarian.

"Yeah..." Sophie trailed off.

"What about your father? It sounds like you looked up to him. What was he like?" Maha asked quietly, blushing Sophie's cheeks with some powder Sophie didn't know. Sophie stared down at her necklace, an amulet of Kynarath.

"Where do I start?" Sophie chuckled.

"He was kinda cold to those he didn't trust or wasn't his family. He was strict but caring. He taught me to read, write, and he is the one that originally got me into literature. He also taught me to dance, and he taught me about music. I would always get in trouble, and every time he would somehow have to get me out of it. He was my rock, the one who always kept me down to earth." Sophie said with a soft voice.

"He sounds wonderful," Maha said sweetly.

"Yeah, he was..." Sophie just realized that tears were about to spill over her eyes.

"What about you? How is your family?" Sophie asked, blinking her tears away before they could ruin Maha's makeup work.

"Have you ever heard of the Vatarians?" Maha asked. Sophie stiffened up, wondering if Maha noticed.

"Yeah, I have. Are you one?" Sophie asked. Maha nodded her head and smiled.

"My fathers were in absolute love, and I was convinced they were soulmates. We lived in Avrima (the African based Vatarain city). I told them about my dream of becoming a designer; they supported me and gave me money to leave Avrima and pursue my dream. But my train was intercepted by the Neversen, and they took me. I have been forced to work as their stylist for almost eight months. I guess it is better than being a prisoner or dead." Maha explained. Sophie sympathized with Maha and decided to change the subject. The girls started to talk, and after an hour they felt like the best of friends.

"Miss Ruewen? I am here to escort you to the event." A stern male voice said from the other side of the door.

"One minute, I need to finish her hair!" Maha said, getting up from the bed where she was previously was talking with Sophie. Sophie walked over to the mirror and stared at her reflection. The grime and blood from her time in prisons have been scrubbed away from her face, and her face was showing her naturally honey tan skin and her long eyelashes. Maha simply enhanced her beauty, as Maha called it. Sophie's dress was a deep-sea green that ruffled behind her, and it also pushed up her bust in a way that made Sophie blush. Luckily it covered her family crest fine.

 Sophie wore a pair of black wedges underneath the skirt

Sophie wore a pair of black wedges underneath the skirt. Just as Sophie was about to open the door, Maha grabbed her hand.

"Sophie, if you are going to escape. Please let me know how I can help. You have become a great friend. And if you are able to let me escape with you, I would be ever so grateful." Maha said, pulling Sophie in a tight hug. Sophie hugged back and nodded.

"Of course Maha. I will keep you updated." Sophie whispered to her. Sophie looked at her escort and nearly fumbled over her words. He was a very handsome man with beautiful tan skin slightly darker than Sophie's and raven black hair that had a windswept look to it. His azure blue eyes seemed so familiar, but Sophie couldn't quite place it.

"I'm Ruy, I believe we have met before," Ruy said, holding out his hand. Oh, Ruy, the asshole that constantly trapped her and her friends in forcefields.

"Yeah, we have. Let's get this over with." Sophie said, trying to keep her composure. Ruy shrugged and started down the hall. Sophie glanced at Maha, who was staring at Ruy open-mouthed.

"Damn." She mouthed, waving her face like she was hot. Sophie nodded and pointed at him in shock.

"Are you coming or not Blondie?" Ruy called behind him. Sophie hiked up her skirt and rushed down the hall to follow Ruy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know what to say... but I am going to give ya'll a little spoiler.

Sophie meets her companion in the next chapter.

Hehehehe

Anyway, please remember to share, vote, and follow!

_Sibylline_