seven • backup

Zacznij od początku

"We win! Yes!"

Isaac and Miles gave each other a high five and their other teammate one when he joined them.

"One more time?"

"Can I get a ten minute break first?"

Isaac laughed. Miles grabbed his water bottle and snack he brought with him and sat down on the ground. It wasn't as hot outside as it had been, the fall weather settling in nicely. The sun was setting with the sky in different shades of orange and pink. There were other kids either playing basketball on the other side of the court or some skateboarding down the sidewalk. It was nice to forget about school for awhile.

"You going to the homecoming dance Morales?"

"Yeah I am. You?"

"Yep. Cara said yes."

Cara was the girl that Isaac had liked for so long. He was an entirely different person around her. She seemed to ground him in a way which is always a good thing. Some people need it.

"Ayy alright! I'm happy for you!"

Isaac was blushing. He always was the moment someone mentioned her. "Thanks. You going with anyone?"

Miles shook his head.

"Really? Why not?"

He shrugged. "Haven't really thought about going with anyone."

"Not even Olivia?"

Miles didn't answer at first. People assumed they were a thing because they lived together so it was "bound to happen" according to some people.

"Why Olivia?"

Isaac seemed confused. "Don't you two have a thing going on?"

"No?"

"Oh." Isaac was genuinely shocked. "Everyone assumes you are."

Miles sighed. No matter how many times they proved they weren't together despite being roommates the rumors would still be going around. The things that have been said about them is just uncalled for.

"We're not. She's just a friend."

They changed the subject after that. They did play another round of basketball with their friends before having to head back to Visions. Miles had an important phone call to make.

"See you later Morales!"

"Bye!"

By the time Miles had made it back to his room it was pretty late. Olivia wasn't in there though when he got inside. He assumed she was with either Gwen or Camila. Sitting down in the chair in front of his laptop he pulled up a very familiar contact.

After a few seconds, she picked up.

"Spider-Man?"

"Cindy. It's been awhile."

She laughed. "Yeah it has. What can I do for you?"

Staring out the window, he hoped Carnage wasn't lurking somewhere. "I need your help."

"My help? Why me?"

"You know why."

She paused. "Oh it's that type of help."

"Yeah.. Cindy I don't know if I can handle Carnage by myself."

"You've handled way worse than him on your own."

"That was different. I dealt with them in one day. I've never dealt with anything like this."

"And how can I help? Spider-Man I'm not as good as you... I'm still new and I-"

"Cindy you have full capability to be as good as anyone. I want to believe you can be of great help. Are you in?"

"I don't know.. what if I disappoint you?"

Miles rocked back and forth slightly in the seat. "Is disappointing me that big of a deal?"

"Disappointing Spider-Man is a big deal! And when am I ever gonna know who you really are? It's been two months and I still don't know your name."

Miles bit his lip. He thought Cindy would be the first one to know but Olivia beat her to it. Cindy would know too, with time.

"It's called a secret identity for a reason you know."

"You're impossible."

He just laughed. After a few moments of silence, he asked again.

"So, are you in?"

This time there was no hesitation in her answer.

"I'm in."