The man seemed to think over my words as the men patiently awaited his orders. It was quiet. Finally, after a few moments, the captain reluctantly gestured to his riders to lower their spears.

I straightened my posture with an exhale, lowering my hands

Dismounting his horse, he removed his helmet, revealing the face of a strongly built, tall man with dirty blonde hair that reached past his shoulders. I dismounted to meet him.

"Thank you." I nodded.

"Don't make me regret my choice." The man warned. "Spies of the enemy roam freely in these lands; and everywhere, they slip past our nets. If I find you are anything but who you say you are..."

"Then fire at will." I crossed my arms.

The man nodded, before handing his spear to his companion beside him.

"I am Éomer, son of Éomund."

"Daeriel." I introduced myself as I glanced around at the group of men that surrounded us.

"You must be the King's nephew?" I deduced from my past readings. "What are you doing so far from Edoras?"

Éomer's expression darkened significantly, and I frowned.

"Thèoden no longer recognises his kin, nor can he tell friend from foe." His voice was low.

"His body has grown weak, his thoughts, ill. Saruman has poisoned his mind. My company are those still loyal to the king, and for that, we are banished."

My frown deepened.

"These are dark times indeed," I responded, my tone grim. "I am tracking a party of Uruk Hai westward across the plains. They have taken two of my friends."

Éomer furrowed his brows.

"The Uruks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night."

Immediately, alarm jolted through my entire body as my eyes widened.

"What? Well, did you see two hobbits?" I questioned, my tone full of urgency. "They would be small, only children to your eyes."

Eomer's eyes showed no mirth as he looked down, a grave expression on his face. He shook his head. The hope within me gradually dwindled.

"We left none alive. We piled the carcasses and burned them. The pile lies about a day's ride away."

My face fell as guilt cut into me like a blade upon flesh, a heavy burden that increased in weight tenfold upon my shoulders.

I was too late.

Éomer looked down, exhaling. "I'm sorry, my lady."

"No. It is not you who is to blame."

Of course not. I was.

My mind swirled, but I stopped myself, calming my thoughts. I turned to Éomer.

"Take me," I demanded.

Éomer looked up at me with a frown, pausing as if contemplating, before nodding.

"We will take you. But I would not expect much," he spoke as he mounted his horse, placing his helmet back over his head.

With a dejected sigh, I climbed onto Aldion's back, a myriad of spiralling thoughts consuming my mind.

What would I find there? I guess I would find out.

Together, we set off, Aldion easily keeping up beside Éomer and his horse, the Rohirrim behind us as we rode over the plains of the once-great kingdom of Rohan.