Finding Peace (In Ohio)

Start from the beginning

"You want to see them again." Ash finished June's sentence.

"Junebug- I cannot let you do that. I understand the pain. My mom died when I was young, and it ruined the relationship I had with my dad, to the point where it felt like he wasn't there." Sal knelt down, putting both of his hands on June's shoulders.

June stood there silently. She honestly didn't really want to see her biological parents. She really wanted to save the people who saved her, and if that meant dying- she was willing.

"Okay wait- Everyone stop-" Travis spoke up, holding his hands out as to motion 'stop' just as he said it. "If we go back to Nockfell- My dad had this book- Wicked stuff- Demonic rituals, I mean, the whole nine yards."

"You want to spend days- weeks even- goin back to Nockfell to grab a cursed book?" Todd chimed in, pushing his glasses father up his face.

"I know the book he's talking about. We have a copy." Sal jumped up, running up the stairs and rummaging around in a pile of old books no one has touched in years. He came back holding a book comparable to the thickness of a Harry Potter book. 

"How can- How?" Travis looked confused. "How do you just have this?"

"I like a good read." Sal said plainly, as if he didn't just go find a book filled cover to cover with demonic witchcraft and wizardry.

"Fire up that spell then." Todd nodded confidently.

It took a good twenty minutes to get the spell set up properly. They didn't have much space to work with to set up the pentagram due to the literal portal to purgatory about five feet way, but they made it work.

With the stroke and spark of a match, so opened a portal to hell.

"Sal- Guitar?" Todd looked in, and was hit with a wave of strange smells. Hell smelled like burnt wood and sulfur. Something good mixed with something icky.

"Guitar check." Sal's nose curled upon also being blasted in the face with the weird sweet-rotten smell. "According to some ghosts, hell is sort of fun, sort of not. It's not sweltering heat, it's more campfire cozy warm." Sal peered down the portal. It was like a window. 

"Oh- So no jackets?" Travis started to take his jacket off, answer his own question.

"Sure- Okay- Three- Two-" Ash started, June finished it.

"One!" With yell and a leap, June was down the portal.

"June-!" Sal jumped in promptly after June did, followed by Travis, Ash and-

No Todd. To be fair, he isn't really an action man, so the group let it slide that he stayed.

"Oh- Wow." Sal looked around, in awe.

The landscape around them almost didn't look like it should be hellish. It looked like- 

"Is- Are we in Ohio?" Ash pointed, confused.

"No it's- Oh wait- Cornfield. We are- This is Ohio." Travis pointed in the distance. 

"This whole time everyone wasn't just joking about Ohio being 'literal hell'?" Sal sort of chuckled to himself.

"So is- Is everyone in Ohio dead then-?" June turned to face Sal and the others. 

"I guess..? Okay- Is everyone over the fact hell is Ohio? Can we go find my husband now?" Sal shook all the funny thoughts from his head, and returned to the reality they were facing.

"Yeah- Okay- Yeah, let's go." Ash waved for everyone to follow her and started walking. 

Sal swung the guitar over his shoulder and into playing position. He plucked a few strings and the ground began shake. Grass swayed, and rocks and pebbles bounced around.