FORTY TWO

CHAPTER 42
SCOOPS TROOP

JACKIE Wilson's Higher and Higher rocked through the speakers of the Toddfather

JACKIE Wilson's Higher and Higher rocked through the speakers of the Toddfather. Steve drove as fast as he could, pushing against the speed limit just the tiniest bit. Veronica's hair blew from side to side, almost whacking her in the face a few times, as Steve took a sharp turn onto a deserted road. He squinted his eyes and turned his high beams on to get a better view of the path, but there wasn't another person in sight. "Jesus, how far is this place, man?" He asked.

"Relax," Dustin replied, "we're almost there."

Veronica turned around slightly to meet Dustin's agitated stare. She tilted her head to the side. "So why did you set up this satellite again?"

"To talk to my girlfriend," he said in an obvious tone, "Suzie."

Her brow shot up. "Wait, she's real?" Veronica shook her head. "But you said she was hotter than Phoebe Cates, and, like, super smart. How does a person like that actually exist?"

Dustin grinned big. "You'll see when we talk to her."

"So then," Robin continued, trying to understand the situation, "Suzie must be pretty special. I can't imagine being so committed at twelve –"

"I'm fourteen."

"– But, I mean, you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her. She means a lot to you, huh?"

Dustin shrugged. "I mean, no one's scientifically perfect, but Suzie's as close to being perfect as any human could possibly be."

Veronica spun back around in her seat, glancing towards Steve when she felt his dark eyes on her. They twinkled against the midnight sky as a smile hinted at his lips. His hand lingered on the gear stick, itching to lock his fingers around her own, but neither of them moved. Veronica looked away, trying to hide her smile. She became such a softie around him. It was so disgusting.

"She sound made-up to me," Erica added, pushing herself forward to talk to Steve and Veronica in the front seats. "She sound made-up to you guys?"

Steve looked to Erica, mouth opened slightly, but he didn't say a word. He quickly turned his head back to the road.

Dustin narrowed his eyes. "Why are you hesitating, Steve?"

"I'm not! I'm not!" Steve exclaimed. His eyes flickered over to Veronica's, begging for help. She stayed completely silent. "I think she sounds real. You know, totally, absolutely real."

Veronica released a snort. "Who do you think you're fooling with that one, Harrington?"

Dustin rolled his eyes, hooking his arm around the back of Steve's seat. He could just see the turn coming up through the darkness. "Left. Turn left," he instructed.