"No. It's just - all you had was a backpack. There's like one pair of clothes."

"I was wearing one."

"Not an excuse."

"I bought more."

"Why didn't you have any?"

Clint twisted a pen around his fingers. "I went on missions 5-6 times a week. SHEILD provided the uniform or the undercover outfit. Slept naked, or if I was tired enough, in my clothes. Didn't need any." 

Tony was in shock. How could Clint not own any personal effects? Knowing about his past in the circus, it made Tony feel a little sick to see how Clint was used by SHIELD. How he'd never really had or needed a home. "Aren't the rest of you surprised?"

"That Clint wasn't into clothes? Not really." Bruce joked and Natasha snorted. Tony looked at them with surprise. Why weren't they rattled at all seeing their friend's meager conditions.

"Can I see Bruce?"

Bruce nodded and JARVIS pulled up a video of Bruce's room.

——Bruce 2017——

"This is your stop." Tony was grinning at Bruce as they entered the room.

"Great! I really appreciate it Tony. The lab is amazing."

"Don't mention it. Get settled before you start working. If you're anything like me, and I think you are, it'll be hours or before you'll take a break once you start."

Bruce laughed in agreement.

"I heard they took your bags before you entered. They'll be up soon."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome." Tony smiled again before he left.

"Hi neighbor!"

Bruce jumped and spun around. "What the hell Hawkeye?"

"Just being friendly and introducing myself to my new neighbor. Hi, I'm Clint." Clint waved from the hole in the ceiling. "I'm ordering pizza in an hour if you want to join. I'll be down in the media room." He popped the air duct back into place and disappeared.

Bruce had his hand over his heart, but relaxed as soon as Clint left. Knocking at the door alerted him that his stuff was ready.

Bruce opened the door and took one carry-on suitcase from the man. He tipped him as well, which surprised the employee a bit, and then closed the door.

He rubbed his fingers alongside the bridge of his nose. "Okay. Okay. Okay." After a minute or two, he wheeled the bag to his room. He put it on the bed and unzipped it.

The suitcase was revealed to be only half full. As Bruce started pulling stuff out, he seemed to realize something.

"Jeez. I need more clothes." Ninety percent of what he pulled out were medical supplies that he traveled with and monitors to make sure he didn't get too excited and wake the other guy. The clothes he did have weren't exactly right for New York. They were made for much warmer weather and it was almost fall.

As he finished up, his stomach rumbled. He laughed and then went down to meet up with Clint.

————————

"Well that wasn't exactly..." Tony couldn't believe how little Bruce had brought with him. His musings were interrupted by the sound of snickering.

"Your face." Clint had his knees drawn up and was curled on himself. "JARVIS, can I get a screen grab of Bruce's expression."

"I don't give consent for that." Bruce spoke up, blushing a bit. "I can't believe you did that."