The Winter's Tale: Themes and Further Reading

Start from the beginning

Hermione points out Leontes' delusions: 'My life stands in the level of your dreams.' Act III ii.

Theme presented in a light hearted tone through the character: Autolycus. —> he dresses up as a man in need of help. Fools the clown, robs him. Act IV iv—> Disguises himself as a merchant and robs people while they are lost in awe of his illusions. Act IV iv. —> disguises himself as a courtier to for shepherd and clown. Act IV iv, although he meant to give them a hard time, he ended up helping everyone. Thus the idea of intention vs outcome.

Polixenes and Camillo disguise themselves as common men to spy on Florizel, the disguise comes off due to Polixenes' wrath. Act IV iv.

Hermione disguised as a statue—> allowing herself to live in hiding until Perditha is found back. Act IV iii.

Archidamus at the start 'We will give you sleepy drinks'.

No reality can alter Leontes' and Polixenes' friendship but illusion will.

Isolated himself from objective communication and is left with his wrong illusions.

Abusing free will and power as the king.

A stereotype: Human nature disrupted by insanity.

Rejects oracle trying to bring himself to god's level.

Paulina and the baby weaken his illusions so he punishes them.

Trusts no judgement bu this own, 'You're liars all!'. Death of Mamillius shatters illusions.

Friendship:

Polixenes and Leontes Act I ii, referring to each other as brother.

Valued over marriage at that time, an ideal bond developed during innocence of childhood and 'interrupted by their adolescent interest in women.'

Leontes and Polixenes friendship characterised by rivalry and Leontes' jealous fears that his wife has come between them.

Paulina and Hermione's friendship- her fierce loyalty.

Youth and Old Age:

Older generation is responsible for the loss of innocence, disunion of family and friends and immense suffering and heartache.

Perditha and Florizel heal all those wounds.

Not all sins of the older generation are redeemed, example: permanent deaths of young Mamillius, Act III ii, and old Antigonus Act III iv.

Gender:

Leontes' hateful ideals about women dominate the first three acts. —> reveals crude and misogynistic attitude after overcome by jealousy. —> all women are dishonest and disloyal Act I ii —> 'should all despair that have revolted wives, the tenth of mankind would hang themselves.' —> later gives uttermost respect to Paulina and love to Perditha+ Hermione. Act V.

Polixenes although seen to be very respectful has a harsh attitude towards Perditha due to her background. Act IV iv.

Context:

1607-1614

Considered problem play—> mix of genres.

Breaks a lot of rules —> until of time/place.

Cliche.

From a time when kings were considered god chosen and women tossed aside.

Representation of pastoral imagery —> common, uncommon for shepherd to be rich.

Said to be a copy/plagiarism of Robert Greene's 'Pandosto: The Triumph of Time' with a different ending.

During his time plays were made adjustments to so we don't know how much of it is Shakespeare's work, whether the ending was intended or the editors made it so to avoid plagiarism accusations and to give a happy ending.

Shakespeare makes a statement that both genders honour is important.

Was considered unplayable due to its complexity.

Title:

Winter's Tale means an 'old wives tale' —> fairytales.

Mamillius predicts that it is a sad tale and it is 'best for winter'.

First half of play deals with winter.

Revelation of oracle—> tragic climax.

Long Winter for Leontes.

Style and Language:

Third person—> free wheeling, follows different characters.

Nobility speaks in poetry while poor speak in prose yet we see how Leontes never switches to prose in anger but his language is not that of a king. Perditha remains in poetry, Shepherd switches to poetry after getting rich —> blank verse.

Every character has their individual style—> Hermione's noble, Perditha's fresh, Paulina's blunt.

Dramatic Irony.

Semantic Field —> allegory, irony, contrast.

Music —> Hermione's resurrection, Perditha and Autolycus.

Symbolism:

Lamb—> innocuous friendship.

Bear—> symbolises Leontes' wrath and punishment + destroys all evidence of Perditha.

Seasons.

Time.

Hermione's statue.

Flowers —> bastard flowers.

Storm —> anger of nature.

Names:

Leontes—> Lion

Hermione—> Stone

Perditha—> Lost and Found

Autolycus—> Greek mythology—> Robber

Camillo—> noble

Paulina—> the apostle, humble