The Winter's Tale at a Glance

Start from the beginning

Shakespearian device—> minor characters discuss major characters—> play opens with this device. Another example is how in Antony and Cleopatra two Roman soldiers commented on Antony's decline and then it really happened. One may question whether that is what we see, 'rooted betwixt them..such an affection that can not but choose to branch now...' we see instead a king's deepening jealousy.

Starts with rich people. Talk between Archidamus and Camillo says all is well. They converse in prose—> polite court language.

We notice there is a great distance between the two countries —> wealth, physical, one is a place of refuge and another is a prison.

Idea of justice and grace is discussed from the beginning.

Sleepy drinks—> illusions—> sense of wrong and right is blurred.

'Accuse us' —> foreshadowing.

Idea of freedom is stifled by jealousy.

Rooted and branched —> image of growth. From the beginning the friendship is shown to flourish—> the friendship is tested and they branch away from each other.

'Nothing' can ruin their friendship. They themselves will.

Mamillius is contrasted with Malice. Some evil can't be undone. Very dramatic.

Idea of heeling is presented with Mamillius, idea of disease and cure, he is the foundation of Sicilia—> hope of the elders.

'If the king had no son' —> foreshadowing.

This scene outlines all the themes an idealised world is introduced. In every paradise there is a snake.

Archidamus does not mention Florizel, Mamillius and him are the same.

A number of clues make us believe Leontes' jealousy has existed even before Hermione convinced Polixenes to stay: All the cheerful speeches belong to Hermione and Polixenes. Polixenes gives a long discourse on the bliss of his childhood friendship with Leontes while Leontes sits silently until he is left alone to nurse his jealousy speaking only in short clipped sentences. Polixenes uses the flowery language one would expect from a royal but Leontes seems to have put their friendship behind them.

'Debt' and 'Pay' are contrasted.

'Brother' occurs often.

'Love and whip'

Hermione is obedient—> tradition role of women but she seems to be dictating Leontes, a little bit carelessly. But she speaks freely as she has nothing to hide.

Parent child relationship is introduced—> for Hermione family is important she would not put an affair before her family.

It can be considered Hermione and Leontes had a good relationship before his suspicions as she clearly considers herself his equal.

Celestial imagery and ironic imagery of a prison is used. Tone is friendly+ witty.

Polixenes has been in Sicilia for 9 months same as Hermione's pregnancy, one can imagine that asking Polixenes to stay is another 'angling' to trap him, however it also suggests that he doesn't trust his wife. Leontes says 'I am angling now. Although you perceive me not how I give lie.'

Closeness of Polixenes and Leontes was so great that it is difficult for Leontes to separate himself- he feels corrupted in some way by his marriage to Hermione and so he projects his guilt upon his friendship destroying it.

Polixenes' depiction of boyhood suggests they have 'tripped since' by marrying.

Childhood innocence is emphasised.

Hermione has a teasing tone that will backfire.

Twin lambs—> allusion of nature.

'Bleating' —> only they can understand each other.

Biblical allusions—> original sin of Adam and Eve.

Hermione asks if Polixenes and Leontes are guilty—> the audience wonder as well.

Hermione is questioning men's faithfulness.

Hermione is an allegory for Grace.

Her speech maybe makes Leontes thinks he's not sufficient for her.

It is clear by her delay in accepting his proposal that she does not fall in love easily. She is a modern woman who is not concerned with gender in friendships and takes her vows seriously.

Clearly, for Leontes Hermione is his property (ew)

'Mort of the deer' —> deer is dead, prize is won. Feels like he (Leontes) is being hunted. Language is ambiguous, victimising himself.

Dirt on nose—> neat—> pun, physically and morally.

The shift between thou and you presents a struggle.

Mamillius predicts the events and depicts the title, 'a sad tale is best for winter'

Leontes accuses Polixenes of the very crime he was about to commit, 'There is a plot against my life, my crown.'

Audience witnesses power of gods. Emphasis on how kings are humans they make mistakes but the state suffers.

Suggested misogyny when Leontes asks Antigonus why he can't control his wife.

King sees himself as an enforcer of patriarchal discipline- my wife was rebellious too, he seems to say, but I didn't let her get away with it.

One of the most striking features is how everyone is on Hermione's side.

Revelation of Oracle is tragic climax of the play.

Important to note how audience has no reason to believe Paulina is ling.

Dark atmosphere in Act III except hope that the baby will be found again

16 years have passed.

End of Act III has changed the mood.

Appearance of the Shephard and Clown and their comic dialogues presents comedy and fantasy genre.

When Antigonus landed in Bohemia it was an oppressive winter wilderness but with the entrance of Autolycus it becomes spring. A time of flowers and fairytales rather than jealousy and death.

Autolycus—> endearing rouge. Greek myths trickster god, patron of thieves.

Cheerful attitude towards sexual aspects is in contrast with Leontes'.

Small scale villainy serves a purpose —> prevents Shephard's fair from looking too perfect —> provides an entertaining counterpart to Perditha and Florizel's earnest devotion.

Flowers occasion a debate between perditha and polixenes over the value of inter-breeding flowers. Polixenes argues that it is improving nature while she prefers pure nature. (May illuminate Shakespeare's own inner debate between art and nature). This scene is however ironic in Polixenes' case as he opposes his son's marriage due to the mixing of royal and common blood. While we can sympathise with his anger at his son nothing can justify the absurd height of his vitriol against the manifestly worthy Shepherd and Perditha.

Autolycus's appearance provides an opportunity to satirise the ballad sellers of his own London. The audience can only applaud his virtuosity.

Devotion to future mate and honourable behaviour makes a stark contrast between Leontes and Florizel.

Camillo sets to Sicilia and although is a sort of double betrayal, it leads to a happy ending and audience can sympathise with his home sickness.

Autolycus' actions are sinister but lack the capacity of harm. Audience delight in his consistency and bamboozling of the Clown and Shepherd.

Leontes is in the exact place we left him and Pauline is still flaming the flames of guilt within him.

Typical fairytale trope of frozen-ness, time halting till a curse is lifted.

Shakespeare makes a wise dramatic choice leaving the true joyful climax for last and depicting Perditha's finding through Lords/ minor characters.

What begins with a death and winter ends with spring and rebirth.