Chapter 16

Wilbur

Diana proved to be more of a city girl than I expected. Observing from where I stood, I saw her showing Tory the carrot she pulled from my parents' garden. Tory gave her a thumbs up. She smiled, satisfied with herself. I would have loved to join them except I didn't really want to. It was two in the afternoon. Diana and Tory didn't seem to mind the heat. Instead, I went inside the kitchen and got them something to drink. I just hurt my head, I wasn't taking any chances.

"You having fun?" I shouted from the porch. Diana tipped her hat up and waved, another carrot in hand. I'm hoping my mom knows a lot of carrot recipes to last us until tomorrow. She knew about a lot of things, but she also didn't know which vegetable was which. I wouldn't blame her. She did grow up in the big city. It took me a couple of months to adjust to my neighbourhood when I moved out myself.

"Well if it isn't Wilbur Gibson, bad boy extraordinaire!"

I turned around to see a couple of familiar faces.

"Loudmouth Larry!" I opened my arms and engulfed the burly in a bear hug. He grunted as he hugged me back. Letting go, I faced the other men who unceremoniously interrupted my quiet afternoon.

"Sara told us you were in town. 'Thought we'd drop by to say hi... to you, too." Larry stepped forward and offered his hand to the woman walking towards us."

She gave him a smile. "Diana."

I turned to look at the other guys. It wouldn't take a genius to figure that they wanted to know who she was. The last time they saw me with a girl was the night before I left town. Cassie Adams was the mayor's daughter and she was so sad to see me leave she vowed to never sleep with another guy after me. A few months later, I heard that she got married to one of my friends. He was a good guy, but we never really talked ever since.

"She's my friend," came a small voice. Tory was holding a basket full of the carrots they harvested. Diana took it from her and excused herself to go to the kitchen.

The moment she and Tory left, my friends turned to me.

"I would like to be her friend too if she'd let me." Larry stated.

The guys collectively groaned in disgust. "If she'd let me." He defended.

"She won't," I said with confidence.

Mark, a portly guy with the one of the kindest voices I have ever heard, chuckled. "What's her story?"

I shrugged. "She needed some time to breathe so we brought her here."

'She can brea-" Larry was cut off by another round of protest.

"Be nice." I warned him before Diana appeared to join us.

"Why don't you and Diana here drop by tonight's get-together? Get a couple drinks, catch up with the others, have a little fun."

I scowled, making the guys laugh. I lived in a small town where everybody knows what everybody does. I didn't really give a good impression when I was growing up. The guys left after pestering me about a round of drinks the next time we meet.

"Don't you want to go?" a few strands of her hair on her neck as she tried to tie her hair up. I could tell she was holding back from asking questions.

"Alright, what is it? Spit it out." I raised an eyebrow.

She chuckled. "I mean it's a get-together. I think it won't kill you to say hello to some friends."

"You want to go, don't you?" I asked matter-of-factly.

"What? No, I mean – " She moved her hands as if that could help her pull out the words she wanted to say. Admitting defeat, she looked behind us before whispering.