Chapter 4

Wilbur

She looked at me like I was her worst nightmare, personified.

When I reached to shake her hand, she took a small step back. I could already hear James clucking like a mother hen.

I was supposed to seduce the woman, not scare her. The small woman beside me, the one who arranged all of this madness, gave out an obviously fake cough.

"Well officer, I have to get going." She picked up her bag and turned to the other ladies to say her farewell. "My husband's waiting for me." She winked at the woman in front of us and left.

I wasn't aware that I was still holding her hand until she pulled away from my loose grasp. She started rubbing her arm, glancing behind her as the others eyed at me like I was fresh meat for a pride of lions.

That's exactly what you are, Gibson. Well, for tonight that is.

"I-I would like to have a word with you officer...?" her voice trailed off, expecting me to answer her unfinished question.

Name. Do I give her my stripper name? Sh!t I didn't even think of a stripper name.

"Wil," I blurted out. I almost ran myself to the wall. I was basically giving her my actual name. What if this woman worked for the FBI? I was told she was a very important person.

She nodded, clearly trying to act like she wasn't singing Careless Whisper before she got interrupted.

"First name basis. I'm okay with that. Can we talk somewhere..." she looked at the other women who replugged the karaoke machine and were currently singing, drinks in-hand, "private?"

Well, okay. I was kind of thinking when I'll start, but right now works, too.

I agreed, keeping my composure cool, and the heat creeping up to my neck in control. It was inevitable, really. I mean what was I expecting?

Looking at the woman in front of me, her walking pace reminded me of someone aware that she was being stalked by a predator. She was still wearing her corporate attire, with the wrinkles on her skirt as evidence that she'd been out and about the whole day.

She finally stopped once we reached the back of the building. When she faced me, she had a look of determination painted on her face – with something close to fear and regret.

She's scared.

"I don't usually do this," she started, gulping some air for extra courage, "bribing people, I mean." She gave me a shaky smile but when she saw me frowning, she turned pale.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't mad. In fact, I was confused.

I was already paid beforehand. The money's already in my account. So why was this woman about to bribe me?

"Sorry ma'am. That's not how things work," I replied seriously. She placed a hand on the wall and sighed.

"I didn't mean it. I was just joking around with the girls. I wasn't going to -"

I cut her off by raising a hand. "I was informed about this," I turned towards the door we got out from, hearing the others laughing, "event."

I was shocked when she grabbed my shoulders. She looked like a mess. And not the kind you see on television, with the soft smile and sleepy eyes. She was in between sleeping beauty if she woke up in real life and a zombie who chased a truck during the apocalypse.

"Please..." she murmured, her eyes started to moisten with tears, "I couldn't be thrown to jail. I have no drugs with me, or in me. I just had a shitty day."