Chapter Eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Gillian felt as if she were floating, drifting through the rooms of the townhouse. The intimate interlude with Lord Jordal in the carriage after the luncheon had left her decidedly distracted. And, she also decided, for this she had no complaint.

Of course Papa Ashworth could not contain his curiosity, grilling her – he hoped surreptitiously – during dinner. “The young earl,” he said, plump lips curling in a smile, “is quite the gentleman, is he not? Such a good sport, inviting you to luncheon after that unfortunate…row…at his mother’s soiree.”

Gillian glanced up from her plate, one eyebrow raised. “And was I not a good sport for accepting the earl’s most gracious invitation?”

Nathaniel Ashworth pursed his lips and frowned for a moment before speaking. “Now, now, girl – there’s no need for impudence. Good heavens, you’ve become so sensitive of late! I was merely commending the young man’s behavior. So many a young dandy would scarcely take even the slightest care to show such humility. Good catch that he is, Jordal could quite easily have ignored your presence thereafter.”

Gillian pushed her half-finished dinner aside and folded her arms casually upon the table. She ignored Papa Ashworth’s pained frown when he glanced quickly at her elbows as they wrinkled the fine batiste tablecloth. “A good catch? Isn’t it true that the earl is known as ‘Lord Bookworm’? That would hardly sound exciting to the eligible young ladies of the ton.”

“Taylor, dear,” Ashworth said, mopping his moist lips with a napkin. “Please do remove your elbows from the dinner table. ‘Lord Bookworm,’ indeed! You’ve been consorting with that peevy cove Edward Alywinth far too often. I should continue to forbid you to see him, though I expect, you’ll have your way and associate with him regardless.”

Gillian rose from her chair and moved round the table. Leaning over, she kissed Taylor’s father’s plump cheek and whispered, “Why, you know me all too well, Papa dear.”

Gillian felt a curious mixture of amazement and anxiety as she left the room. She was slipping too easily into this life and it both frightened and excited her.

###

Christopher Jordal came calling the next day, early evening. Gillian hadn’t expected to see him again so soon, yet there he was, waiting for her in the main parlor.

Fiona had quickly selected a gown of green brocade shot with delicate gold embroidery for her charge since the servant felt the gown Gillian had worn since morning was too plain. The abigail’s fingers slipped a few times as she quickly tightened the bodice’s back lacing. Gillian suspected the maid might be more excited – and nervous – than she at the earl’s unexpected visit. “Is it too tight?” Fiona chattered brightly. “Can ye breathe well enough, dear? If he’s come a callin’, I own he’s going to take you somewhere.”

Gillian nodded, smiling, as she turned to face the abigail. “As long as I don’t have to run a marathon, I suppose I’ll be all right.”