One-Eighty

Vincent:

Matilda was hunched over on the floor with her hands mashed over her face, crying her eyes out after she broke the news to me that she dropped him.  I didn't know how to react.  I had been so focused on killing my family, then myself, and this was not the kind of distraction I needed right now.

What the hell was I supposed to do now? I had no intention of killing Jacob. He was an innocent infant who had his whole life ahead of him.

I lowered the pistol and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Are you certain that he's dead, honey?"

She looked up at me with a large amount of green snot oozing out of her nose. "I think so. His neck made a loud cracking sound and his head twisted."

Hope screamed loud into her tape. She sobbed wildly before her eyes rolled into the back of her head, fainting from the massive emotional distress.

I actually felt sorry for her.

Then again, it was her own damn fault.

She should not have come here in the first place.

"Alright, Matilda.." I sighed, placing my hand on her frail shoulder. "I'll take care of it. You stay in here and watch them for me while I bury his body."

"Y-yes, Daddy...."

I set the pistol on the coffee table in the middle of the room before going into the kitchen.  The first thing my eyes fell on was a large bag of flour that had been thrown down to the floor, then I looked around and saw that Jacob was sitting in the corner of the kitchen, smiling and chewing on a banana.

My fists clenched and my mouth dried so much that it felt like someone had fed me cat litter. 

Matilda had lied to me. 

I turned around to march back into the living room, but she was already standing behind me with a steak knife clutched in her hand.  She looked like one of those kids from Children of the Corn, her eyes burning and a wicked smile across her lips.

"Gotcha."  She said, jabbing the sharp knife into my side.  The pain sent me to my knees.  "You already killed my old mommy!  Did you really think I would let you kill my new one, too!?"

"You little bitch!" I grabbed her foot and pulled her down to the floor with me, only to be kicked hard in the face. She scrambled back to her feet and picked up Jacob, carrying him into the living room.

"Get back here, Matilda!!" I demanded, using the side of the counter to help me stand back up. She hadn't stabbed me very deep, but the pain was bad enough to slow me down substantially.

That was all she needed to do. When I hobbled back into the living room, clutching on to my blood soaked side, she was already cutting Emily free.

I went to reach for the pistol. It was gone.

Emily ripped the tape off that covered her eyes and mouth, then she found the pistol lying beside her on the sofa. Matilda put it there for her.

She picked it up and pointed it at my head.

"Stay back, or I'll blow your fucking head off!"

"Go ahead, bitch! I dare you!"

Her hands trembled as those wonderful green eyes burned into my soul. "No, that would be too easy."