Thor, the cat

The distinct sound of keys clinking let me know that he was getting here; after all, he had that habit of hanging his keys on his jeans. My suspicions were confirmed when I saw my human walking into the room with his usual black backpack.

Well, he wasn't exactly my human, but he was my favorite, just like I was his favorite cat since the moment he had found me, two years ago.

"Hey, Leo!" My human said to his friend who waited at the tables. He stopped cleaning the table to wave hello, with a high five.

"What's up, Yuki?"

"I'm good, what about you?"

"Everything's good." He put the cloth in his apron pocket. "By the way, I saw this week's post. Your drawings keep getting better!"

"Thank you, it's not much though..."

Leo rolled his eyes.

"Anyway, the clients are really enjoying the new menus with your cat drawings. I told you it was a great idea."

It had also been his idea to put the drawings on things like mugs and bottles to raise more funds for our food and medicine.

"I can't disagree..." He tried to hold back a smile, but couldn't.

Leo put a hand on Yuki's shoulder.

"Your grandpa would've loved it."

I remember Yuki telling me about this. His grandpa was the one who encouraged him to draw back in the day; it used to be just for fun. However, he had died a little while before Yuki found me. He's been through a rough time and he couldn't even find joy again in drawing that was until he found me and was able to draw again.

Yuki looked away.

"Thanks... I'll have the usual."

"And I'll ask you to go to the counter and talk to the new girl. I'll be going on my break in a few."

"I see the service here is very effective..." Yuki provoked him, laughing.

"Stop complaining, you're not even a client anymore, you're at home." Leo joked before grabbing the mugs and plates that were on it and to take them to the kitchen.

I left the space reserved for us cats and went to wait for my human next to the glass door, boosting myself to reach one of the many shelves. The glass door and windows divided the place only for humans and the room to play with us, and from where I lied; I had a great view of the human side.

As always, the people in uniforms that were there every day were giving food to the ones that sat on the tables. The great smell of more food being made came from that room in the back we weren't allowed to set our paws on, unfortunately. A kid waved and tapped on the window, entertained with a cat on the other side while her parents stood on the line to pay. On my side, there were some people playing with cats and asking the caregiver about the one that had been rescued recently.

My human went to the counter to make his order, but, for some reason, when he met the new girl, he lost his words. She smiled at him, waiting until he finally said:

"The usual." The words left his mouth automatically. The new girl was confused, but, before she could ask, he added, almost stuttering. Yuki, wrap it up already and come see me, how annoying..."It's a cappuccino and a brownie."

"To eat here, to go or to eat in the kitten area?"

"In the kitten area" He replied, opening his wallet and giving her the cash.

"Alright, I will take it there for you, sir."

"You can call me Yuki.

She nodded, making the strands of hair around her face move. The rest of her brown hair was tied up in a bun, like most of the girls who worked there.