Act 2 A Time so Long Ago

The air in the mansion was warm with the soft light of candles. Today the bride was to be married to the man she loved at first sight. Two years ago at a masquerade ball, he stood off in the corner, watching the others dance and be merry. She was captivated by his charm. He could feel her staring at him and looked up. She looked away, blushing with embarrassment. He strolled over and asked her to dance. She gladly accepted, and they began to dance.

"So what is your name?" he asked.

"Bethanne. And yours?" she replied.

"Edwin."

"How charming." all she could do was blush.

"You are the loveliest lady here tonight." he whispered softly into her ear. This only made her blush more.

When the masquerade was over they both went their separate ways. Months passed and finally a letter came from Edwin. He would be visiting Bethanne in the rose garden a week from the date. She was delighted to be able to see him again. The day came and she sat in the garden in her finest dress and jewelry. Edwin walked into the garden with the same charm as she had fallen for before. They talked for hours and hours. The smell of the roses were intoxicating. Finally, Edwin had to leave, but he promised to come again to make her his bride.

"I will wait for you. How ever long that may be." she replied. he kissed her and left.

Along line of suitors wanted her hand, but she had already made up her mind that day. Time passed, and she never lost faith in him. One day a carriage appeared in front of the mansion. Another suitor, she assumed. No, it was Edwin.

"I have come to claim you as my bride." he got down n one knee and kissed her hand.

And now was the day of the wedding. Bethanne wore a gorgeouswhite gown embroidered with tiny white pearls, and a tiara with a delicate white veil attached. She finished applying her makeup, and walked through the door carrying a bouquet of red roses. Bethanne took long, slow steps towards Edwin. His reassuring look gave her comfort. The minister began the rites, and a ghastly figure slipped into the back of the room. When Edwin handed her the golden goblet filled with wine the mysterious man smiled. She closed her eyes as she drank from the goblet. As she handed Edwin the goblet, it slipped from her hand and fell to the floor. She hunched over, holding her stomach.

"Bethanne, what is wrong?" he asked desperately. She collapsed to the floor. The man left the same way he had come. "Behtanne, no Behanne." He looked desperatly into her, now, lifeless eyes, hoping she would awaken. "No!" he yelled, tears streaming down his face.