Chapter 4 - Amelie Collins to The Front Office

To PreethyAthul who has the patience of a champ and who has stuck by this story since I first began it nearly 3 years ago.

***

Glancing briefly down at my phone, I step into the empty corridor. The screen reads 9:15, but the still air and hurried clang of another latecomer's locker are already enough to confirm my tardiness. My black lace-ups squelch deafeningly against the slick tiles as I make my way to my locker in brisk strides. Dumping my bag into the bottom shelf, I shake out my notebook and a copy of Organic Chemistry, Volume V and if my life wasn't already plummeting towards the pits of hell, one look at this bad boy does the trick. I make sure to lift my feet as I walk in futile attempts to quieten the squelching, and with a not-so-subtle creak of the door, the class goes silent - dozens of eyes tracing my movements as I slink in through the back of the classroom and sit down in my seat.

"Ah, Miss Collins," Mr Burley begins, eyes unmoving from the pages of his textbook "I am simply ecstatic you could join us." The monotony in his tone, often enough to send whole classes to sleep, now sends chills my spine. I cough uncomfortably, waiting for the class to resume, but an unusual hush remains upon it and instead, my professor peers over his glasses expectantly. "Anytime?" I murmur through clenched teeth. Mr Burley sighs, obviously unimpressed with my response. "In your absence," he continues, "we came to the end of Act V, Scene I. Over half an hour late, no doubt you've already prepared your interpretation?" Fuck. In one swift motion, I draw the textbook from my bag, thump it on my desk and begin flicking through the pages. Act V, Scene I... Act V, Scene I... my eyes dart from paragraph to paragraph before glazing over in realisation. Looking up at Mr Burley, I note the title of the book in his hand and the colour drains from my face. Macbeth. "A word... Miss Collins." he orders, motioning me back through the door.

<<<>>>

"I cannot believe he did that to you! In front of everyone too?" yeah, well done to Beth for reminding me, "Girl, you have other things on your mind right now and that man has a screw loose!" I sigh grumpily; her intentions may be good but a change of subject would be heaven right about now. Claire butts in, obviously sensing my anguish. "Hey so what're you guys up to tonight? I was thinking pizza and Disney at mine?" Beth pauses for a moment. "I mean chem is due this Friday and I've got French to study for on Monday..." she starts, but her voice wavers under Claire's glare. Claire then nods her head towards me - ever so slightly - as if I wouldn't notice. "Hey!" I exclaim, punching her forearm. Beth beams at our antics "but I guess those can wait..." she relents. All of a sudden, Ana jumps us from behind, a flaring haze of long red locks, "COUNT ME IN!" she shouts, swinging an arm around my shoulder. Oh, how grateful I am for these idiots. Sure, I've known Beth since we were in nappies but there's something magical about being a part of such a close-knit group of friends that I couldn't have dreamed of back at Montville. With that thought, the weight I had been trying so hard to ignore reemerges in my chest. I bet he's here. My eyes shoot down to the ground, cautious to meet anyone's gaze. My friends' conversation dies into a distant hum and soon all I can hear is the sound of my heart pumping in my ears. I gaze absently at people's feet, too far from reality to notice when the bustle of the hallway is pierced by the crackling of the loud speaker: "Good afternoon teachers and students, could Amelie Collins please make her way to the front office immediately. Thank you." Ana elbows me in the ribs, "I think that's you darl." she whispers "Excuse me, AVERY Collins to the front office, please." the speaker confirms. God, what now? I turn around and begin to walk towards the front of the school. "BYE AMELIE!" my friends call after me.

***
If memory serves, I joked about this update coming two years after my last chapter. I'll do ya one better and make it three!

I am honestly so, so, so, so sorry. I have been dealing with some personal things that caused to drop off the Wattpad radar a little but I am pumped to be continuing this story and can't wait to see what evolves from it. I like to think my writing has improved over the last few years with school and the likes so I hope I'm able to showcase that growth in a way that still engages all of you wonderful readers (but I'll let you guys be the judge!)

As always, please leave me all your feedback and I'll do my best to work it into how I write (so please make sure your thoughts are heard!)

Happy Reading,
Lise xx