Chapter 1: A New Beginning

(Akira's P.O.V)
I ran my hand through my hair as I scrolled though my phone.

"Shibuya.." I whispered, scrolling faster and faster by the second, "Ah!"

After hopping from taxi, to train, to subway, it finally felt refreshing to look at a time in the minutes. "At least the people seem nicer here." I kept telling myself that only to feel a little bit better about being housed so far away, but it does nothing for me in the long run. A year? In a city I've only seen in magazines and textbooks? I feel like I'm in a dream, and I really want to wake up from it.

My body flung forward as the train came in at a sudden halt. All of the passengers stood up and scrambled out of the door, I stayed seated, waiting for an open, less stressful opportunity to depart. I finally walked out. Both of the rusty mechanical doors closed behind me. I turned to my left and started walking. BAM! I've only been here for a few seconds and I've already managed to run into someone.

"I'm so sorry!" I shouted frantically.

I scrambled to find my glasses.

"H-here you go!"

The persons hand intertwined with mine as they launched me upright back onto my feet. They sat my glasses perfectly aligned onto my face.

"I wasn't watching where I was going. My bad!" the blurred figure said.

I blinked my eyes a few times to regain my vision. The figure was a boy, same height as me, and about my age or maybe a bit younger. He had short, dandelion yellow hair and was wearing a black hoodie with ripped, black long jeans.

"I should be the one apologizing!" I panicked

He grabbed my shoulder, shook me a bit, and smiled.

"I'm not going to hurt you man, don't worry about it."

I adjusted my glasses.

"I didn't catch your name?"

"Damn I'm really a mess today," he chuckled, "I'm Ryuji, Ryuji Sakamoto. And by your gaze, I can tell you aren't from around here."

I scratched my head.

"I'm Akira Kurusu. Is...Is it really that obvious that I'm not from around here?"

Ryuji put his arm around him and walked him toward the exit of the subway station.

"I wouldn't say it's obvious more like..." he hid his face with his hand, "what's the word I'm looking for...?"

"Oblivious?"

We both chuckled and walked outside the station into the sunny filled streets of Shibuya.