Chapter 1

"Jaaaasoooon!"

My mom called my name in a singsongy voice. I groaned. I knew exactly why she was calling me and I was tempted to pertend I was asleep, but i knew my mom would just keep calling me and would eventually come upstairs to get me if I didn't come. So, rolling my eyes, I pulled myself out of the chair in front of my computer and made my way to the balcony over our living room.

"Come on Jason, cheer up he'll be here any minute now! Help me set the table."

I sighed as I dragged myself down the stairs and into the dining room to help my mother.

"Why do I have to greet him? I don't even know him." I whined.

My mom sighed, "But thats how you make friends."

"I already have friends I don't need another." I mumbled under my breath.

My mom gave me a stern look and I knew she was about to lecture me. "Jason. How many times do I hav-" She was cut short by the sound of the doorbell ringing.

She giggled and smiled like a child. I groaned and slouched my shoulders. She gave me a look then went to get the door.

My parents are.............. unique I guess you could call it. My mom works at a daycare and my dad is a lecturer. He mainly does lecures on child abuse. Each year they take in a foster child whos been through abuse and help them recuperate until they can be adopted. They usually take in kids who are nine or ten but this is the first time they've ever taken in someone who is sixteen. I don't really get along with the kids they take in and i think it'll be worse this time because we're the same age.

I sighed. Might as well get it over with. I thought to myself as I walked into the other room.

As soon as I came in the room i was grabbed around the shoulders by my dad.

"Dad?! What are you doing here? I thought you wouldn't be home until tomorrow!"

"I finished quicker than I thought I would and when i got to the airport I met Mr. Hock and this young man who were getting off the flight from Dallas. One thing led to another and we ended up taking the same taxi here."

I hugged my dad tightly. He had been on a trip for work in Russia for three weeks and i had missed him so much! After hugging him for a while i let go and sat down on the couch to 'greet' the new family member.

"Well now that we have reunited our little family, lets begin introductions." My mom said once everyone was seated.

"I'm Mrs. Cowl but you can call me mom now that we're a family!" My mom introduced herself then it was my dads turn.

"I'm Mr. Cowl but please, you can call me anything you want all of Jason's friends call me dad! So don't worry about being formal!" He laughed heartily.

My mom smiled at me indicating it was my turn. "My names Jason." I said quietly while looking at the ground. My mom seemed satisfied and turned to look at the new kid.

"This is Dylan. He's going to be enrolled at Pentradalls Highschool." Mr. Hock spoke for 'Dylan'. I glanced up at him only to find him staring at me with his emerald green eyes through his medium length black hair. When he saw me look at him he quickly looked down.

Whats with him? I thought.

"Oh, thats the same school Jason goes to so they'll be in the same class!" My mom clapped her hands together smiling widely.

"I made dinner, so lets go eat before it gets cold!"

"What did you make dear?" My dad asked.

"I made chicken soup. And theres also buns and some brocoli mixed with peas!" My mother said happily.

"Mmm i think that sounds delicious! What about you Dylan?"

Dylan didn't look up just stared at the ground not saying anything. I wonder if he's a mute or something. Its always possible with child abuse i guess. I took one last look at the boy then followed my parents into the dining room.