Teaser #9: Layla

Day 98 of my confinement. 

The door creaks open. I hate that door. It separates these 2' x 2' cells they keep us in from the lobby. I haven't been to the lobby since I was dropped off here. They call this place the shelter. That's what my old owner said when he put me in the car. "We're going to the shelter." Then he left. That was a long time ago.

The door creaks again. Every time I get comfortable in this steel cage, the door. People come and go. Cats come and go. The little ones are popular. I hear the people call them "kittens" when they pass my cell. I'm too fat they say. Too surly. They want a kitten. 

I hear footsteps approaching. I rest my head on my paw and sigh. More people. They'll walk past me without a second glance, or they'll stop and stare at me before judging me lacking something. I'm not sure which is worse. 

"Mr Asher we normally have a strict policy that pets are not gifts. We require the person whom the pet will be living with to be present at the adoption. But, I'm sure we can make an exception for you. I loved you in the Invisible Man by the way."  I look at the sight directlly in front of my cell door. The warden is twirling her hair and gazing at this man like he just donated a year supply of kitty litter. 

Good lord. I haven't seen sucking up like this since.... since the last time I saw a dog.

"Thank you, Amber. I appreciate it. And the cat is for my wif-- for my girlfriend. We'll all be living together soon enough." The man smiles at her like he smiles for a living. How annoying. His gaze leaves the warden and falls on... me.

"Who's this?" He approaches my cell and checks the tag attached. "Layla." I glare at him between half closed eyes. I don't think so buddy. I haven't been toiling away in this dump to end up with a schmuck like you. I look away. Move along. 

"May I hold her?"

WHAT? 

"Sure!" The warden is flipping the latch on my cell and placing me in this man's arms before I know what's hit me. 

"Humph. She's pretty heavy, huh?"

Heavy? You feel like you hit the gym enough asshole. I'm sure I won't strain your back. Enough of this. The warden is paying me no attention. It's time to end this. I bite his hand. He looks down at me. Surprise on this face. That's right pretty boy. I've got your number. You think I'm leaving here with you? I know your type. I'll be back here in weeks if I leave with you. You are not forever material. 

"I'll take her."