Chapter 2

"Are you ready for school, Starbuck? Your bus will be here any minute."

"Yep," I put my brush down and threw my bag over my shoulder. "I'll head down now."

I walked down the stairs after shutting my light and bit the inside of my cheek as I heard his footsteps behind me. I went to the kitchen, hugged my mother goodbye and went to leave. But I was stopped.

"Dana you didn't eat."

"Dad, I'll be late for the bus-"

"Breakfast is important."

"Can't I just get something at the school?"

"Well how will I know that you ate?"

"I'll send you a picture or something," I looked out the window as the bus honked. Everyone else was already outside and now on the bus. "Dad, I'm going to miss the bus."

"I don't care. Sit down and eat something."

I sighed, I wasn't going to argue anymore. "How am I supposed to get to school?"

"I can drive you sweetie."

"Thanks mom-"

"No, let her walk."

"What? Dad it's like 2 miles. I'll miss the first two classes!"

"Well that's what you get for trying to leave without eating. Why are you trying to lose weight? You don't need to."

"I'm not. I just wanted to be on time. Mom, don't let him-"

"Sweetie, it'll be fine. I'll write you a note."

I sighed and nodded slowly. I was done arguing with him for the same reason that my mom wasn't going to argue. Fear.

Fox Mulder's point of view

September 4th, Tuesday morning. Most people's least favorite day of the year. That's right, back to school. Me? I didn't hate it. I mean, I was a teacher. A psychology teacher, to be exact. Many of my coworkers don't enjoy their jobs as much as I do. I love having the power to educate students and make them know stuff. It's great.

My mornings were boring. It's the same thing everyday. I wake up, grab some coffee, take a shower, get dressed, fix my hair, pack a lunch and grab more coffee before I head to the school.  I'll admit I miss the days when I had a girl to share my mornings with, but Jessica has just ended out relationship just over two months ago. I don't miss her, I just missed being with someone. I was 27. I was supposed to go out and party on the weekends, but I always preferred staying home, watching movies and doing more research for the novel I was writing. It was a book about teenage minds. I had some of my students fill out a questionnaire last year to help me understand their minds, and I'm going to do more of that this year. Probably sometime in the first week of school. Maybe even today.

Surprisingly, the first two periods went quicker than they did in any other school day, but now it was third. It was a class of only seniors, but somehow, some of them are still as immature as 7th graders.

"Good morning class. I am Mr. Mulder, and I will be your psychology teacher for the year. I'm going to explain a couple of rules for the year, don't worry, there aren't that many, and then I'll do attendance for the day." 

I leaned against my desk, holding my clipboard as I usually did. I scanned the class. Most of the seats were full. Only 3 were left open. This was the largest class I've ever had.

"Alright, first things first. There will be no talking over me. At all. If I am teaching or giving a lecture and I hear you talking, you will leave my class and come back after school for detention.  No exceptions. Second, this room is a safe space for many. People have always come here and felt comfortable to talk about whatever they need to. I would like to keep it that way. Same as before, if I catch you being disrespectful, you will leave and have detention. That being said, I am a psychology teacher as well as a psychologist. I am available most days after school and during 5th and 8th period. If there is something you need to discuss with an adult, you may come to me. Just please remember that I am your teacher and we will have no relationship larger than teacher and student or psychologist and patient. Is that understood?"

I smiled softly as I scanned the room of students all nodding their heads.

"Great. Now attendance."

I stepped behind my desk and grabbed the attendance list. I went through the students names to see that everyone was here. Everyone but one.

"Now, this may be personal, but it's one of the least personal things I will ask you to do this year. I am writing a novel about the mysteries of the teenage brain. I'm in need of more research, and I thought, 'what's a better place to go then the teenage brain itself?' So today you all will be filling out these forms and handing them into me at the end of class. They are optional, but I would very much appreciate if you at least did 1 or 2 questions. You may skip or leave our some details."

Just as I finished speaking, the door opened to reveal a young lady, shorter than most in the class, hair down to her shoulders that matched the color of the sun, eyes as blue as the sky and rosey pink cheeks. I watched as she shyly walked to an empty desk in the back of the room.