"i love you"

(el's POV)
i rode my bike as fast as i could. i think my legs hurt more than they ever have before. sweat ran down my face, i just wiped it away. i was panting. i needed to hurry. suddenly, in the distance, there stood max's house. i smiled and laughed in relief. i started to slow down as i entered her driveway. i dropped my bike and ran to the porch. i was about to ring the doorbell, when i stopped. what if things didn't go as i planned? max probably hated me. she hates me. i didn't deserve such a great girl like max. she meant more to me than anyone in the entire world. i loved her. but what if-? i shook the thoughts away. i rang the doorbell. the noise echoed through her house. i waited a couple minutes, starting to think she wasn't even home. i turned around to go back home then i heard the door open. i turned around slowly. there she was. max mayfield. i turned to her, looking down. she stood there, her eyes red and puffy. she must've been crying.
"can i come in?" i asked silently. max didn't say anything. she just opened the door for me. i nodded and walked in. she shut the door.

i rushed to her room and as soon as she entered the room i slammed the door. she sat on her bed. she looked pissed. i turned to her, standing up.
"so, what do you want?" she asked bluntly. i hesitated a bit and i realized cat got my tongue. i sighed.
"max, i'm sorry." i said. she stayed the same.
"i know, it was wrong of me to do what i did and i know i was rude, and inconsiderate. but i'm really sorry." i said. i leaned in for a hug. she stopped me. she scoffed and rolled her eyes.
"what's so funny?" i asked. she stood up, arms crossed.
"it's just kind of funny." she said, amused.
"it's kind of funny how you decide to end our friendship for that douchebag mike. then, continue to ignore me and pretend i don't exist. i guess that's the type of person you are." she said, shrugging.
"max, i admit it, okay? i was an asshole to do that to you. and i'm sorry." i said.
"you think sorry is going to fix this el? well you're wrong." she said getting in my face.
"how do i know?" she asked.
"what?" i asked.
"how do i know that you're not gonna do the same thing again?" she yelled. my eyes began to water. she shoved her way past me and opened the door. i had to think fast. i needed to tell her, like now i can not lose her again. i grabbed her arm. she turned around.
"max, i love you!" i screamed. she stared at me, blankly. i began to cry. i finally got it out of me. i loved her. now she knows. her angry expression turned into a sad expression. i felt to the floor crying.
"max, i love you, i didn't want to admit it because, i didn't know if liking girls was wrong or not." i said, sniffling. she kneed down next to me and put her arm around me which made me cry more. i looked up at her.
"and i love being around you. you're my favorite person ever, and i love you a lot" i said. she continued to stare at me. i cried more. suddenly she stood me up, i sniffled. she wrapped her arms around me and i felt as if she would never let go. i sunk into her arms and i felt... safe. loved. i smiled in relief and hugged her even harder. i didn't want to let go. she started to cry too.
"i love you too, el." she said. i ran my finger through her hair. we let go and we're facing each other. we both leaned in for a kiss. her soft lips touched mine. and oh, how they were warm. i've waited a long time for this moment. i was so glad it was finally happening.

i needed to get home so i left max's. i ran to my bike laying in her driveway. i picked it up and just as i was about to ride away, i turned around. max smiled, a couple years still in her eyes. she smiled. i smiled back. then i headed home.

as i rode home, i was so happy. max was back in my life once more. but not just as my friend. my feelings were kept inside of me for so long, i couldn't take it anymore. i think that's how max felt, too. i was hoping i could spend the rest of my life with this girl. she was everything i hoped for. maxine mayfield made me happier than anyone ever has. more than lucas, more than dustin, and heck even more than my dad. and she's made me happier than mike ever has.