The doctor smiled. "It's my job. Now, could you tell me what you're experiencing?"

Deepika nodded. "I've been having stomach cramps and nausea and dizziness. Also I've started bleeding though my period isn't near. I took an emergency contraceptive this morning. I think it's because of that." The doctor took her pulse and blood pressure as she spoke. Pulling out a stethoscope from her kit, she asked Deepika to breathe deeply.

"Any other symptoms? Fever? Chills?"

Deepika began to shake her head no but Ranveer interrupted. "She's been shivering a lot."

The doctor nodded. "Your blood pressure and heart rate are fine. You may just be experiencing severe side effects to the emergency contraception. Is there any possibility that you could be pregnant?"

Deepika shook her head. "No, none. It's been only a week since my last period ended and I didn't have sex until yesterday." Ranveer blushed a bit at her frankness.

"Alright, that rules out that possibility. What is the name of the drug you used?"

Ranveer got off the bed and rummaged in Deepika's purse for the box the pill had come in. "Here, this has all the details," he said, handing it over to the doctor. He returned to his place and pulled Deepika into his arms again.

The doctor glanced at it before nodding. "Yes, these symptoms are part of the standard side effects of the drug. You are having a particularly strong reaction, but unfortunately that happens with some women. I assume this is your first time using this?"

Deepika nodded. "Yes, this is the first time taking emergency contraception."

The doctor began writing out a prescription. "Given your reaction to the drug, I would highly recommend making it your last, as well. You and your fiance may want to consider non-hormonal long-term alternatives."

Deepika smiled at her. "Thank you, doctor, we've talked about it."

The doctor smiled back. "Good. Here is a prescription for anti-nausea medication and a painkiller. The bleeding should stop on its own in a couple of days. The nausea and pain should be gone by tomorrow, as should the dizziness. If anything worsens, if you start feeling any shortness of breath, if you faint, I suggest going to the hospital immediately."

Ranveer nodded at her. "I assure you, I will make sure she goes at the first sign of anything wrong."

The doctor smiled. "Other than that, I see no cause for worry. Take care."

She got up and Ranveer went with her to the other room and paid her consultation fee. He asked the waiting porter whether he could get the prescription filled and the porter assured him that the medicine would be delivered to the room in half an hour. When he came back to the bedroom Deepika was lying curled under the blankets. He sat down beside her and stroked her hair. "Hold me," she whispered, and he stretched himself out on the bed and curled his body around hers. She sighed and pressed into his touch.

"I'm sorry," he whispered into her ear.

"It's okay," she whispered back, then grimaced and tensed when another wave of pain swept through her.

"What can I do?" he asked, feeling helpless as she whimpered and shook. She pulled his hands to her abdomen and pressed them there. He stroked and kneaded, hoping to ease her pain. Bit by bit, she relaxed beneath his fingers. He continued the slow massage until her face lost its pinched look. "Do you think you're up to changing your clothes? You'll feel better if you put on your pyjamas." He thought that she looked uncomfortable in her tight jeans. She was also still wearing her jacket.