Chapter eleven

The limo dropped them off close to the front entrance of the stadium. Alia had been able to get passes to the VIP section. "Money and a working knowledge of German," she said with a wink when Ranveer asked her how she'd managed it at such late notice. "You owe me a commission," she joked.

"All your drinks and snacks are on us," he replied, and Deepika nodded. 

"On us? So should I assume you two have reached the 'what's mine is yours' stage?" she teased. 

Deepika shrugged. "What's mine is mine and what's his is mine as well," she said with a gleam of mischief in her eyes. Ranveer pretended to be wounded. "But we'll pay for you tonight nevertheless, as a thank you for booking the tickets. Speaking of which, let me know how much they were and I'll pay you back."

"Excuse me, I?" Ranveer looked offended. They were all standing in a long queue waiting to enter through the gate. Security was high and passes and credentials were being carefully scrutinized. 

Deepika kissed his cheek. "You're here because I asked. I know you wanted to go to Paris."

"I want to go wherever you go. Paris is just a place." Ranveer smiled at her and she blushed. 

"Oh god, guys, so cheesy!" Alia rolled her eyes.

Deepika laughed. "See, I keep telling you you're the cheesy one," she teased Ranveer.

"Excuse me, I think she called us both cheesy." Ranveer slipped his arm around Deepika's waist and pulled her closer. 

Alia rolled her eyes again. "Yo, lovebirds, we're up next at the gate if you'd like to join us."

Deepika blushed and disentangled herself. They got through security with no problems. Once inside, they could see dozens of food and drink stalls doing a roaring business. The smell of the food made her realize that she'd eaten nothing since their meal at the airport and that she was starving. The evening's activities had left her with a craving for salt and starch. "Fries, I want fries," she said. Alia looked at her strangely. "What?" she asked her.

Alia shook her head. "Let's go get some. I want fries, too. We'll meet you inside, Ranveer. Hold our seats!" She linked her arm in Deepika's and they headed to the stall selling burgers and fries. Once there, they ordered burgers and milkshakes along with the fries. 

Deepika shrugged at Alia as she paid, feeling the need to explain the quantity of food. "We had a measly lunch at the airport. I'm starving and I'm sure Ranveer is, too." She paid for a couple of bottles of water as well and opened hers to sip from while they waited. 

Alia giggled. "Oh I'm sure he is. You guys sounded quite energetic on the phone this morning."

Deepika began to cough around the water. She caught Alia's mischievous look and blushed tomato red. "Umm, that is, uh, sorry?"

"You certainly didn't sound sorry this morning." 

Deepika blushed deeper.

"It was quite eye-opening, actually, to know that you, always so proper and poised, could use words like that."

"Alia, stop." Deepika hit her shoulder. She laughed.