Chapter 12

AUDREY POV: My eyes open slowly as I feel warmth upon half of my body. My eyes sting, as if I've been crying. I rub them harshly, to see there's an arm wrapped around my waist. I slowly turn, making sure not to awake whomever lay beside me.

It's him... Why is he here? I try to replay last night in my head. I remember going to sleep in my own bed alone... When did Tim come in? I look around the room to realize I'm in his room.

Did I sleep with him? No... There's no way.... 

I slowly slip out of bed, making sure to not make a sound. I shut the bathroom door gently, then allow myself to breathe. I look in the mirror to see makeup smudged down my cheeks. I try to wash it off. I pat my face dry, realizing a red patch on my neck. What happened? 

A hickey.... He gave me a hickey... 

Okay, so we slept together. So what? We can still be friends, right? Things don't have to become complicated or anything. I sneak out of the bathroom, and then across the room to the hallway. I then enter the guest bathroom, and apply makeup. I tame my wild locks, and brush my teeth. I smack my cheeks a few times to wake up, then take a deep breath and stare in the mirror. 

Is this how it'd be if we never split? If not, then how would it be? Would I be happy? 

I look at my now straightened hair, as well as my makeup covered face. I don't feel like that same girl. I don't feel like the Audrey he knew. I always blamed this feeling on growth, but it seems that I've been merely stepping backwards for the last seven years. I want to be happy.

So is happy with Tim? Will I be happy with Tim?

I'm jumping the gun. He probably doesn't even like me anymore. And last night..... well... sex is sex. It doesn't mean anything more.

After what seems like a century, I finally leave the mirror and walk back out into the hallway. I slowly creep by Tim's door to see if he's awake. As expected, he's still out. 

I go over to the guest room and grab my bag. I need to shut this off. It's not right. I can't see him get hurt again. 

I tiptoe out of the house and out to the car after packing my things. I throw my things in the back of my truck, and walk around to the drivers side of the car. 

I jump as I see Tim leaning against the driver side door. I grab my chest and begin to calm myself down. 

"You scared me!" I say, panting. He nods, avoid eye contact. 

"Where are you goin', Audrey?" He asks, getting right to the point. My chest begins to feel tight. I need to be a woman and say what's going on. 

"I don't know..." I say, honestly unsure where my next place will be. 

"But you're going?" He asks. Now he looks right at me, with almost pity. I look down at my shoes. 

"Yeah." I confess. He laughs, and puts his hands out. He looks up to the heavens and begins to pace. 

"I knew it... I knew it was too good to be true." He says, showing that he feels played. 

"I can't watch you get hurt again, Tim. I have to go." I say, hoping to get a bit of understanding. This infuriates him. 

"Let me worry about that. Audrey, you can't hurt me, unless you take off again." He says. I look around at the land around us, thinking of my next stage. Tears begin to fill my eyes. 

"I can't..." I utter, shutting my eyes. Tim doesn't give up. 

"Bullshit. You can stay. Give me the keys." He demands. I shake my head and hold the keys close to my side.