Chapter Eight

We had reached the forest the next day, and I was releived to feel the cool grass beneath my paws and the sweet sound of birds chirping. Holly is finding it rather difficult, because she keeps on stepping on lose rocks, and tripping over brambles. I try to help her by making a trail for her, but she gets distracted and wanders off the path. I sigh and trudge forward with the gang behind me.

   "I can smell cat!" announced Flicker. "Really strong, up ahead." At this we all hurried forward, wondering if our journey to the clans would be over. I could smell it too, now. It was really, really strong. Like someone tried to mark this tree, and rock, and everything!

   "Halt!" a loud voice echoed in the forest. We froze in our tracks as four lean, muscled cats swarmed out of a bush. They looked at Flicker and immediatly had the look of terror in their eyes but held their ground. One was a small,orange and white tom. Another was a russet furred she-cat, and the two others were a silver she-cat and a black and brown tom. 

   "What are you doing on Rippleclan land?" demanded the silver she-cat. "Invading? And what's that fox doing?"

   "Forgive us," began Holly. "But me and my friends need your help really badly! There are these dogs that are attacking our home!" I noticed Holly said our, home.

   The silver cat narrowed her eyes. "Who else is with you?"

   "Nobody." Flicker boldly stepped forward. "We have come to ask for help." The she-cat stepped back a little. I thought I could see a glimmer of amusement in Flicker's eyes. 

   "Hmm..." murmured the silver she-cat. I could tell she was thinking. "Very well. I'm Crystalstar, by the way. And you'd better tell that fox to lay off, or else he will get hurt." Flicker narrowed his eyes and growled faintly as we started walking to the Clan cat's home. 

   I could scent many cats with the same scent as the one the patrol held. We walked on a worn down path, and the scents became stronger- I could even hear cats now. My heart beat really fast, and I was suddenly nervous of meeting these new cats. How will they react to a fox in their home?

   We headed down a ravine and entered through a entrance made of brambles and ferns. Crystalstar hadn't made a word on the way down, and the small cat was eyeing us curiously. I narrowed my eyes at the small orange and white cat and he whisked his gaze away. 

   When the tunnel stopped at opened up to a sunny clearing, I gasped. Cats were everywhere- in the clearing, off to the side in some dens, and even on the side of the ravine looking down at us. I tried to keep a straight face, but I ended up laughing for no reason. Flicker turned to me.

   "Why are you laughing?" he hissed. "Stop it!" Flicker nervously looked at Crystalstar. She didn't notice me laughing.

   "Sorry." I stopped and looked straight ahead. Midnight dropped behind to stay at my side.

   "Attention, Rippleclan!" called Crystalstar. "We have met these fine cats, and they need our help immediatly!" I noticed she didn't say "fox" too. "They will stay the night today, and tomorrow I will let some cats go and help them."

   A black and white cat spoke up. "What's that fox doing here? And why should we help them?"

   "The fox is going to be sleeping outside the camp with a guard watching." she told her. "And I do think that we aren't fox-hearts, and will help these cats." Flicker almost couldn't hold himself calm anymore. His eyes were steaming mad. I put my tail on his back to calm him.

   "We will be in your dept," began Holly. "I will make sure of that. I will think of a way to pay you back, don't worry." Cats cast us suspisious glares. I returned them back.