Chapter Sixteen

Now Jessie led us as we raced down the sidewalk. I looked around, trying to remember if I've ever been here while I was a kittypet. But I don't.

    Jessie was slow, so we had to run slowly, and she was running full speed. Then she skidded to a halt in front of a green lawn. She stared up at the house with wide, sparkling eyes. She turned to me happily with her tail high in the air.

    "We're here!" she squealed. "This is my home!"

    "Should we go inside?" I asked. Midnight and Flicker appeared at my side. Then i suddenly remembered something. "Um, Flicker..." I meowed. I pushed him back a step and looked behind my shoulder.

    "I don't think the humans will like you here." I said quietly. Flicker's tail twitched back and forth.

    "Of course they won't." Flicker said flatly. "I'll go to the side of the house. Say good-bye to Jessie for me." I turned around, confused. Then I saw that Jessie was already at the doorstep. I gazed back at Flicker.

    "I'm sorry." I meowed softly. "I'll be there in a few minutes." I waved my tail and turned back to Midnight. Silently, we walked up to Jessie. She was mewling and clawing at the door. I signaled Midnight to go to the side in the bush. He did so, and I followed him. Jessie stared at us.

    "Go on. Meow." I told her. I snuggled farther inside the bush. Jessie clawed and mewled some more. I looked over at Midnight and shuffled closer to him so our pelts touched. He rested his tail on my back.

    Then the door opened. A tall human figure- a female- stood in the doorway. She had tall fur on her head, and a long dress. She squealed in horror and backed up. Jessie puffed out her tail, frightened.

    "Oh! Get away from me!" she snapped at Jessie. She reached down to swat her, but I raced forward and bared my teeth at her. I snarled and she ran back inside the door. I picked Jessie up by the scruff and carried her back inside the bush. 

     I stared, perplexed at her. "What happened? Are you sure this is your human's home?!"

   "Y-yes. That was her!" Jessie mewled quietly. "I thought she would recognise me." 

    I stared more at her, not knowing what to say.

    Midnight spoke up. "Maybe we can see inside, and see if your mother is in there. She might still be, if we can get to a window." I glanced at my mate and nodded.

    "Yes, we could do that." I said. "But Jessie- why wouldn't she recognise you? That doesn't make any sense." I glanced back at the door.

    "She might've gotten too big, and the human didn't know her." Midnight suggested.

    "She was gone for not even a week. She couldn't have gotten that big." I reasoned. 

    Flicker poked his head through the bush. "I just saw what happened. But what did just happen?!" I glanced at Midnight, and I explained to Flicker. He nodded when I was done.

    "Oh, that's too bad." Flicker said. "What are we going to do about it?" This time Midnight explained that we're going to try and find her mother through one of the windows, and hopefully she can see us and take Jessie back. I glanced back at the kit. Her face was sad- too sad for a perky kit. I could almost imagine her roaming the streets, all alone.

   But that's not going to happen. We're going to find her mom, and get her back. We'll try.

   After a long while of planning, we finally figured it out. I will get onto Flicker's back and look through each of the windows. If I see her, I will tap on the glass to get her attention. Then I could signal her to come outside, hopefully. Midnight will stand guard to make sure the human doesn't come back, and to take care of Jessie while we're busy.