The Basement - Within The Walls (12)

Moblit Berner

Female Group, 26-02-2021

I arrived at the girl's group about five or six months ago. They've been stressing ever since I got here, because I was the last person to get here. Luckily no one has been angry at me for being the last one, Hanji has told the group that I cannot help it and she's right.

They've all been busy trying to crack the codes written in some kind of notebook.

Now we're all gathered around a box, Hanji is standing on it, the book in her hand. "Thanks to Frieda, Petra, Annie, Christa, Ymir and Rico, we can finally get away from here!" Hanji says, loud enough that everyone can hear her. The girls start cheering and applauding, but I don't get why.

Why would they want to go back to the awful world that's outside? They still would be property of THCO. They won't have the freedom they hope for.

"We've drawn a map and with Ilse's directions it shouldn't be that hard to find the way out," Hanji continues.

I want to tell her so badly that escaping won't make any difference, but I can't. They'll lose hope, I'll ruin everything, they might even stay here and starve.

"We'll pack all the things we'll be needing today," Hanji says. "And tomorrow we'll leave!"

The girls start cheering even louder and when Hanji gets off the box some of them walk away while others want to talk to her for a second. I stand in the middle of the crowd and stare into the distance.

We're leaving.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and startle up from my thoughts. It's Hanji, she's standing in front of me and smiles.

"You look sad," she says, I shrug. "Having bad memories again?"

I shake my head. I've had all kinds of dreams or thoughts about my memories, sometimes I just start crying while other times I wake up screaming. Hanji has been there for me and it's clear to me that she's probably been there for all the girls as well. She was the very first to arrive after all. She must be happy to leave after those years.

"No," I whisper. "I'm okay."

"Aren't you happy about leaving?" Hanji happily asks and she gestures at the group of girls who are all packing bags already. "They sure are, and I am too."

I glance away and nod. I know I shouldn't lie to her, of course I'm not happy about leaving. Not after everything that THCO has done to so many people.

"I'm happy for you, Hanji," I say. "But we should stick together as a group when we get out there. It's dangerous, THCO is dangerous."

Hanji frowns, confused about what I'm telling her.

"How do you mean?" she says. "I'm not planning to stay with the people of THCO, we're leaving them as soon as we're able."

I look at her and she smiles at me. "Just don't worry, Moblit," she says. "I know you say this to protect us, but we're not scared of them."

She's so strong and positive, how isn't she even scared a little bit.

"I know," I say.

The only problem is that she should be scared.