Chapter 13 // Shattered Glass

A/N // THANK YOU for all the support guys!! I was in the process of moving and I had no internet, but HERE is the chapter we've all been waiting for <3 We're back to updates Tuesdays and Fridays now!! Thank you for your patience!!! <3

xxx

Rumors had plagued them since the night of the interview.

Ally's Parisian Meltdown. Jack and Ally Get Cuddly During Interview Right Before Weird Illness Interrupts. Ally Maine is Pregnant: Why Her Meltdown Might Indicate More than the Flu. Grammys Part Two? Is Ally Maine's 'Flu' Something More Sinister?

For right now, she didn't care.

"Heal me. God knows nothin' else is gonna heal me. Oh, before it's too late, won't you steal me?"

Jack watched from backstage as Ally danced, tossing her hips and belting as if nothing were wrong. He chewed on his lip. How had he not noticed? If anyone should recognize the signs of addiction, it was him. He wondered how long this had been going on- weeks? Months? How had this began? Jack tried to push the thought out of his mind, but it persisted.

Was it his fault?

The crowd roared and Ally bowed. Jack moved then, making his way into the spotlight for the final song in their setlist. Jack plucked the strings of his guitar, sauntering toward her. "You're music to my eyes, I had to listen just to find you."

Ally smiled up at him, but her eyes were hollow. How long had they been like that? How long had he not noticed? "Your voice is quite a view," her singing roused him. She truly had the voice of an angel. "I heard a song and then I saw you," he remembered sitting with her in their music room, tossing the lyrics back and forth. This had always been his favorite song of theirs.

To him, music was twelve notes, between any octave. Twelve notes, and the octave repeats. It was the same story told over and over. All any artist could offer the world was how they saw those twelve notes. That's what he'd told her that night, and she'd giggled at him, called him a killjoy. He'd insisted he was a bringer of joy, and the gentle tease between them ended up setting the flirtatious tone of the chorus. It was the last element of the song they'd written, and he remembered kissing her afterward, and feeling the heat of her touch beneath his palms.

"Love, let your music be mine, sing while I harmonize, let your melodies fly in my direction. Take me to your paradise on a musical ride; I'm in love with your music, baby. You're music to my eyes."

He hadn't told her then, but perhaps he should have- he fucking loved how she heard those twelve notes.

Jack hadn't noticed the tears pouring down his cheeks. As soon as he strummed out the final note of the song he let go of his guitar and rushed to her. His hands twisted in her dirty hair and he pulled her close, planting a kiss on her sweaty forehead. The feel of her arms around his waist was no surprise- she was good at playing the part of a girl in love- but he could've sworn she lingered for a moment longer than usual.

"Thank you very much," Jack spoke at last, pulling away from his wife. He missed her immediately.

"Merci," Ally nodded, and they made their way backstage.

As soon as the spotlight was off of them, Ally slumped. Jack rushed to her. "Ally, I-"

"Stop, Jack," she shrugged him off, refusing to look at him. "You embarrassed me the other night."

"I'm worried about you," he whispered.

"Worry about yourself. You've always been great at the whole self pity thing."