chapter 5

"We have to go back?"

"They have asked for you personally and request that you come immediately."

Valkyrie sat in Guild's office, watching Skulduggery pace back and forth, fuming. Guild was sitting at his desk, watching the detective with a wary eye. Crux stood blocking the doorway, his arms folded across his chest and his non-existent chin was thrust out as if proud of himself.

Skulduggery stopped in front of Guild's desk. "So let me get this straight, we have to go back to the island to take care of a vampire problem?" Guild nodded slowly.

"Then why the hell are they asking as now?" he yelled, flinging his arms up in frustration, "We just got back!" Guild continued to glare at Skulduggery.

"If I am not mistaken detective," he said coldly, "It took you two weeks to get back here which you still haven't told me the reason for. So I suggest you be careful what you say or you and Miss Cain here," Guild shot her a threatening glare, "will be out of a job again." Skulduggery tapped his foot impatiently.

"Do they not have anyone over there to help them?" he asked sourly. Guild scowled at him.

"They were pleased with the result of your last mission up there and request your assistance again. It's not a matter of lack of staff, but the quality of the work performed which you, some how, seemed to fulfill."

Guild stood up and walked over to stand in front of Skulduggery. "Now detective, I suggest you leave and start packing. They would like you there by the end of the week. You will also have to arrange where you will be staying."

Skulduggery was silent, just glaring at Guild darkly from under the brim of his hat.

"Fine," he said harshly, "We'll be gone by the end of the week. Come on Valkyrie." He turned swiftly and walked over to the door.

Valkyrie stood up and followed him out as Crux opened the door, Skulduggery passing swiftly by him. Valkyrie made sure to give Crux a menacing glare as she came up to him.

"Good luck Cain," Crux sneered as she walked by and shut the door softly behind her.

Valkyrie followed Skulduggery as he walked into Gordon's and promptly sat on one of the couches.

"I can't believe they did that to us," he said darkly. Valkyrie leaned back on the front door, her mind racing at a million miles per hour.

Not only did she have to go back to the island to fight off vampires, but she had to do it with a child growing in her. The thought made her nauseous.

She was also scared to tell him, seeing as how he was fuming to begin with. She figured she would have to try and calm him down first before she told him.

She walked over behind him and began massaging his shoulders.

"We can handle it," she said softly, trying to keep her own fear out of her voice. She leaned over and began gently kissing his neck and felt his muscles relax.

"What are you playing at?" he asked. Valkyrie froze and sat up a bit.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, already knowing the answer. Skulduggery stood up and turned to face her.

"I can tell something's wrong," he said, folding his arms across his chest, "You always try to divert the topic away from what's bothering you." Valkyrie began fidgeting with her fingers.

"Nothing's wrong," she said, looking down at the floor. Skulduggery raised an eyebrow at her.

"Valkyrie, what is going on?" he asked, walking over to her, "You haven't been yourself lately." Valkyrie could feel the tears stinging in the corner of her eyes

"Have you ever thought of having a second chance?" she asked softly, the tears now slowly streaming down her face, "You know, a second chance at having a family again?" Skulduggery continued to look puzzled.

"Why do you ask? What's going on?" Valkyrie gave a half-hearted laugh, the tears still flowing.

"I don't know what we did, but we did it," she said, pacing back and forth. She stopped in front of Skulduggery, closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Skul," she started, "I'm pregnant."