"...I think we should let Y/N keep them."

Y/N POV

Nadia looks at me, a warm smile on her face,
"You are...quite different from how I imagined you. I will admit I find your presence quite intriguing."

Am I supposed to respond...?

Nadia then asks,
"Tell me, Y/N...Why did you come to the palace? Why agree to help me?"

"You asked me," I state.

"Yes, I did. But you could have refused me easily," Nadia says.

"It would be rude to refuse," I state, turning my attention mainly to the doggies.

"Sorry to bother you, milady, but I was told..." I suddenly hear Portia say, walking out onto the balcony thing.

Portia's eyes widen when she sees me.

...? Did I do something...?

"How are they so...calm? And so...sweet?" Portia exclaims, surprised.

"...oh. You're talking about Melchior and Mercedes..." I say, realizing why Portia is here. I then explain,
"Why wanted to come with me and have been following me around all day."

"I see...well then...Umm. Milady, what would you like to do about the subject at hand?" Portia asks Nadia.

"...I've never seen those two dogs so friendly to someone...I think we should let Y/N keep them. They seem to really like her," Nadia says, smiling at me.

Melchior and Mercedes let out a happy "woof!"

I rub both their heads,
"Precious puppies..."

Portia stares in awe,
"I still can't believe they like someone...You must be an expert with animals, Y/N!"

"I wouldn't call myself an expert..." I mumble.

"Well...I should probably get going and tell the other servants. Sorry for bothering you milady!" Portia says and leaves.

Nadia looks at me, like she's examining me.

It's silent for a moment until Nadia asks,
"Why do wear those clothes? They seem different to the styles here...Where might you be from?"

"I'm not really sure...I just know it's far away and hidden...I moved here with my brother and father figure 7 or 8 years ago...We were saying somewhere outside the country for a few years, until we decided to go in and learn more..." I explain.

"I see...you have a brother?" Nadia questions.

I nod.

"It wouldn't happen to be Asra, would it?"

"No...my brother is someone completely different..." I say, shaking my head.

Nadia hums.

"Why are you trying to find Count Lucio's murder? Hasn't he been dead for three years or so...?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"Ah. You are right to ask that, Y/N. I want to lead by example, not fear. This place in dire need...I have so many plans for Vesuvia. I want to see this city flourish...Perhaps you'll be able to help me with those plans, Y/N? I could use more competent people on my side..." Nadia says.

She seems...sad and...lonely...

I stand up, carefully removing the two dogs heads on my lap, and reach out. I gently hold her hand to comfort her.

She looks surprised, but soon smiles and says, holding my hand back,
"How sweet you are, Y/N."

She then lifts up my hand and plants a light and feathery kiss on the back of my hand,
"It seems you have had a long day. I won't keep you any longer. Thank you for coming to the palace. My dreams did not lead me astray."