The attorney walked outside with Charlie to find us. He was carrying a large brown folder with a stack of papers inside. Charlie towered over the attorney, he was a building.

        "The boys are all set, I'll finalize these and mail them to your house a week from Monday."

        "Thank you." Charlie shook his hand.

The attorney turned and went back in the building while Charlie folded a small note and shoved it in his pocket before turning to us. He was in wrangler jeans and a brown jacket with sunglasses placed on the neckline of his green t-shirt. He had to have been over six-foot-five, I sure hope I get his height, and had short black hair with a lightly shaved black shadow and mustache that matched. I looked at Eryk and realized how much he looked like him, I was always told I looked like mom.

       "I'm Charlie." he said after a minute of silence as he observed us. He patted Eryk on the shoulder, "Eryk, how're you doing? I haven't seen you in a couple of months."

       "I'm alright." he shrugged.

       "I'm really sorry to hear about your mom." he said to us both.

We both nodded our heads because we couldn't think of anything else to say.

      "Cody," he stopped to observe me one last time. "you can call me Charlie, you don't have to call me dad." he assured me.

      "Okay." I said quietly as I took another hit from my cigarette.

     "What now?" Eryk looked to Charlie.

      "I'm finished with the attorney so we should start heading home. It's not a far drive, only about fifteen minutes, but first," he reached over and took the cigarette from my hand. "neither of you will be smoking anymore." he flicked it in the ground.

       "I wasn't..." Eryk began but got quiet when Charlie turned towards him.

       "I can smell it on you and your lighter is still in your hand." He raised his eyebrows at him.

       "I can't smoke?" I asked as I noticed my hands were shaking again.

       "No, it's unhealthy and a disgusting habit. You're too young to do it anyway."

I turned to Eryk but he just shrugged his shoulders and gave me a look like there was nothing we could do about it anymore.

       "Alright, no more smoking." I said as calmly as I could.

We both climbed inside of his grey chevy silverado and started our drive home. There wasn't much talking because both Eryk and I were slumped from how long the trial lasted. We have one more day to hear the verdict.
_____________________________________________________________________

       "Hey guys, we're home." Charlie said as he started to grab our bags.

       Home. I wonder if I'll ever feel at home again. Our old house wasn't a home but mom, Eryk. and I were a family so that was close enough. Charlie carried our bags for us because he wanted us to look around the place. It was a white house with a big porch in the front and the back. There were no other houses around which was nice because that meant we had a bigger backyard and we might actually be able to use it.

       When you first walk through the front door you see a staircase along the wall to the right, to the right was the living room with beige walls and brown furniture, across from the front door is a little hallway with a door that leads to the basement and then the kitchen, to the right of the kitchen doorway is the dining room which is also visible from the living room. The house looked plain but it had a touch of roughness to it, as if Charlie lived here since he was born.