Praying

"I hope you're somewhere praying."

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains sexual abuse and assault. I will give another warning just before.

Peter listened patiently because that's all he could do. As Jamie explained, the man had to stop a few times to compose himself. It was so obvious to see that he cared very deeply for Rosa. It scared Peter too. Rosa was like the big sister he never had. He didn't even want to think about her being gone.

"She's still alive. She...she has to be. Deon won't let her die." Jamie shook his head. It looked like he was trying to reassure himself as well.

"Well, he doesn't really have much say at the moment," Peter said.

The man just stared at him blankly.

"You...you don't know?"

"Know what?" Jamie frowned.

"Rosa told me just before they took her. The mind control has started affecting him. Damien is probably filling in for him at the moment," Peter explained slowly.

Jamie didn't really have the reaction he expected. "Oh my God." His mouth quirked at the corners. "This might be our ticket out of here."

"I thought having Damien in charge was worse, to be honest," Peter grimaced.

"It is, but Deon had structure. He doesn't. The guard rotas will be disrupted..." You could see the clogs working behind his eyes. He looked up and put his hands on Peter's shoulders. "How good are your acting skills, Kid?"

Peter couldn't help raising an eyebrow suspiciously. "I guess they're average. Why?"

"I think we'll be able to trick some of the guards."

The young spider felt a rush of adrenaline. But he remembered not to get too ahead of himself. Every escape attempt they'd tried had gone wrong. However, he couldn't shake the feeling that they had a good chance this time.

"We need to get my friend out as well," Peter nodded. "Her name's Lucy."

The man reacted to his words with a small frown, like that name meant something to him. "Of course. Here's the plan..."

Jamie started to explain his idea and it was good. Very good. No more than ten minutes later, they were both in their positions. Peter lay on the floor, awaiting to play his part.

Just like planned, Jamie began to bellow. "Hello! Hello, is anyone there! Help, please! He needs help!"

Sure enough, movement could be heard on the corridor.

"Shut up!" A harsh voice said on the other side of the door.

"No, please help!" Jamie cried.

There was a heavy sigh and the door began to unlock. Peter dropped his head to the floor and made a pained face. The guard became visible and rolled his eyes as he pushed past Jamie.

"What's wrong with him?"

But he never got an answer. Instead, Jamie span him around and punched him hard. The man clattered to the floor in a heap, unconscious.

Peter stood up and dusted himself off. "That was easy," he said with a smile.

"We're not out yet, Kid," Jamie smirked.

He looked out into the corridor briefly before putting the door to. The next step of the plan was to blend in. Jamie removed the guard's jacket and boots and grabbed his gun. Luckily, he had glasses as well which provided more of a disguise.