Chapter 2

For what's money without happiness?

Or hard times without the people you love

Though I'm not sure what's 'bout to happen next

I asked for strength from the Lord up above

Cause I've been strong so far

But I can feel my grip loosening

Quick, do something before you lose it for good

Get it back and use it for good

And touch the people how you did like before

I'm tired of living with demons cause they always inviting more

- J. Cole

~~Sydney~~

"China, please don't fall!" I place my hand over my eyes to block the sun. I see her feet dangling directly over the step she had to step up on to look out over the rails. This is her favorite spot on the Pier. She is standing on the same post she used to always stand on when my parents used to bring us down here. My dad would always bend over the rail with her and point out the different types of fish in the water. My mom would always sit on this bench with me and ask about everything going on with me at that time. Every crush, friend, and enemy has been discussed on this bench. A lot of laughs have been shared here, just as much as tears.

Like always, China is trying to ignore me, but I know she hears me. I lay down across the wooden bench and I put my other headphone back in my ear. China finally replies to me, but I can't hear her because I am actually playing music this time.

"Chest to chest, nose to nose. Palm to palm, we were always just that close. Wrist to wrist, toe to toe. Lips that felt just like the inside of a rose...." I start to sing California King Bed by Rihanna to myself. I love her music. It has gotten me through EVERYTHING in my life. The deaths, the heartbreaks, the moves, school, just LIFE. I never understood why her music was what always spoke to me, but then again do we ever understand why some songs just draw our attention more than others.

Have you ever wondered why music is so therapeutic? When I listen to it I go into another world that I would like to stay in forever. It scares me sometimes, because I have never had something make me feel so at peace like music, other than my books, and sometimes my art. Books allow me to escape my world and pretend I have the life of the main character, or another lead character in the story, in a way that is almost surreal. I love the idea of creating a story line where I am in control of everything, or nothing. The author of a story can decide who lives, who dies, who falls in love, and so on. Someone can be added to the story for comedic relief while others can be added to disrupt the peace. Places do not have to exist and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Reading realistic stories are also interesting, but even a real story can be twisted into whatever satisfies your fantasy.

California King Bed starts to come to an end so I pick up my phone to search for a new song. I finally settle on Crush by Yuna and I slide my phone back into my pocket. I listen to the first verse and wait for my chance to harmonize with Yuna and Usher. When my chance finally comes, I sing my heart out only because I really do love this song. Emotions play out through the melody silky smooth like ice cream, and their voices floating on top are two nicely perched cherries.

"That was good." Through my music I hear a guy's voice and I jump a little from how he appeared so suddenly. I uncover my eyes and standing over me is the younger guy from the porch that complimented me on my shoes. Hhm, he's even good looking from this awkward angle. That is how you know someone is actually good looking, when all of their angles collide so perfectly.