Chapter Six: Kitty Litter

Start from the beginning

'Hey, Raj,' he said to the bouncer, smiling.

'Brian!' The man called Raj gave him a hug across the ropes. He was maybe in his mid-thirties, tall and broad shouldered, with a kind-looking face. 'Long time no see. Partying tonight?'

'You know it. This is Nick, my new protégé. You should hear him sing, he's got epic talent. Nick, this is Raj. You coming to my gig tomorrow, Raj?'

'Stuck at work, I'm afraid. Good luck, though. So, you two want in?'

'Well, if you can swing it.'

''Course I can.' Raj unfastened the rope and let them through. He stamped the backs of their hands, and then they were free to go inside. Brian gave him a kiss on the cheek.

'Thanks, mate. I owe you one.'

'Nah, man, I still owe you for those concert tickets. Have fun!'

Nick had never been to a nightclub before, let alone a gay one. He didn't know what he'd expected, from watching films and what have you, but his jaw dropped when they entered into a large room, three stories high, with lights and smoke and scantily clad men dancing on platforms. There was a DJ up on a stage and, much to Nick's relief, the music wasn't terrible.

'Come on, bathroom first,' said Brian and led him by the hand through the crowds until they got to the toilets. He pulled Nick into a booth and got out the ziplock bag again. He poured two pills into his palm and took one. 'Open wide,' he said, and Nick did as he was told. Brian placed the pill on his tongue, and Nick swallowed. 'Now, let's go dance.'

* * *

Dave and Patrick hopped on a bus headed for Birmingham as soon as lessons were done for the day. Dave had brought a change of clothes, and left his stuff in Patrick's room before they set off. When they reached Birmingham, they started by getting a bite to eat and a couple of drinks, before heading to the club Matt had told them about. They queued for about twenty minutes before they got their IDs checked and were let inside.

It was loud and full of people, and they headed for the bar to get some drinks.

'Wow, I've never been to a place like this before!' Patrick almost had to shout over the din.

'Me neither,' said Dave.

'What?'

'Me neither! God, it's loud in here. What are you having?'

'Well, might be time to find out what a mojito tastes like when it's not made by you.' Patrick grinned and Dave punched his shoulder playfully.

'Bitch. Fine, mojitos it is.'

They got their drinks and turned to watch the dance floor—which was full of people dancing, kissing, having fun—while sipping them. Patrick had been right. This was a much better drink than the ones Dave had tried to make at his birthday party.

When they had finished their drinks, Patrick took him by the hand and pulled him out onto the floor. 'If I'm in a gay club, I intend to make the most of it!' he said loudly in Dave's ear. Then he began to swing his hips to the music. Dave copied him. He wasn't a great dancer, and neither was Patrick, but soon they were dancing like no one was looking, laughing at each other and themselves.

The evening was spent passing back and forth between the bar and the dance floor, and Dave found himself fairly tipsy after a while. Patrick was, too, and they cared less and less about how they looked dancing, and more and more about touching each other and kissing as much as possible.

All of a sudden, Dave spotted a familiar silhouette nearby and froze. It was definitely Nick, and he was dancing with a dark-haired man with sleeve tattoos. Though dancing was hardly sufficient to desribe what he was doing, grinding up against the guy like he just couldn't get close enough. Dave turned away quickly.