Home

(Listen to When I Look At You By: Miley Cyrus while you read this one. This song is all around beautiful. From it's stunning lyrics to it's emotional build throughout, to the vocals. I wrote this one shot to it, and I feel it really adds to the story.)

They rushed you into the small control room with very little explanation falling from their lips, and you were sure your feet had never moved so quickly in your entire life. All they had said when they hurried down the narrow hallway your way, was that Steve was on the line, and he had requested to speak to you. And to only you alone. They didn't need to say much more than that. Everything else you needed to know was written across their tightly held faces, and the unspoken words were reflected back to you in their shadowed eyes. And although the sinking feeling had filled you the moment you saw the hallowed expressions as they ushered you into the room, it still felt as though you were walking through a fog. Like you weren't quite awake, and that everything happening around you belonged to some kind of fast passed dream. 

And yet, the goosebumps that sensitized your skin and the nauseous sensation that churned your stomach, was enough to prove to your doubting mind, that every step you took into that small room, was real. That this moment, one you had always told yourself was a possibility, was really happening. 

The little yet somehow wide seeming room, was lit up by the hundreds of tiny lights, blinking and shining across the control boards surrounding you. And spotting a simple chair placed in front of a small microphone on the counter, you slowly walk towards it. Your legs trembling with each step you took, and it was a miracle you had even made it down that hallway in the first place. It felt as though you were walking willingly towards the thing that was going to kill you. Knowing exactly what heartbreak and pain was to await you, and yet your body still led you towards it. 

Your wobbling legs bend as you approach the chair, and faintly feel as the soft upholstery touches the backs of your legs. Your hands felt clammy as you wiped them against the soft fabric that flowed down your thighs, and swallowing nervously, you glanced behind you. And noticed that the men who had led you here, had left. Leaving you here alone, to give you and Steve your final moments in privacy. And their absence said something in itself. Turning back to look at the silver microphone waiting on the table in front of you, your eyes close softly. Your eyelashes fluttering anxiously against your cheekbones as you inhale a deep but shaky breath. 

Opening your eyes with one last small effort to slow your racing heart, you lean forward. 

"Steve?"

Your voice seemed so loud as it almost echoed around you in the near empty room, and you could hear the fear that bounced off the walls in your voice. It didn't sound like the voice you once knew as your own; this one was frightened and trembled on the verge of painful tears. It wasn't strong or hopeful, in fact the voice was sucked of all hope and crushed of all strength. Leaving it stripped bare with it's vulnerability and sadness to be the only things heard. 

"I didn't think they'd find you in time."

He sounded so far away, as though he was lost in a void that threatened to suck him completely in like a black hole. His voice cracked over the sound of the radio, and you could hear the rushing of air and a motor in the background. But even as the noises nearly drained out the sound of his melodic voice, you could only focus on him. It didn't matter how soft his voice was or where in the world he was right now, all that mattered to you in this moment was him.

"I'm here Steve," You croaked softly, and hadn't even realized the tears were constricting your throat. "I'm right here."

"I think I'm going to be home a little late tonight," He said and you could tell he was having to speak loudly over the sound of the aircraft he was flying. "can you forgive me?"