Part 3- Now Hiring

" Mom, we need to talk."
"Ok. Let's talk."
" I love you so much and I just want you to know you are the best mother ever!!"
"What do you need."
" I think I've shown that you can trust me , right?"
" Of course sweetie. Why do you even ask? "
" Well because I met someone and he wants to take me out tonight. Can I go please???."
"Ok."
"O..Ok??"
" Yea, like you said you're trustworthy. I trust you."
"Thanks Mom. I love you so much."
"Love you too, Booka."

That's how I imagined our conversation going. She would understand that I'm old enough to make responsible decisions.

One can only dream.

Mom made eggs, grits and sausages for me this morning. My favorite.

See insisted on cooking for me every morning. At times I tried to stop her, urging her to let me cook for her for once. She said it was a privilege for her to be able to feed me and watch me grow everyday and there was nothing I could do to take that privilege away from her.

The famous words of my father.

I do charish my mornings with her. She's all I have left after Dad died.

**Flashback**
One morning, I woke up and there was a layout of food on the table. Dad walks out of the kitchen with pancake batter all over his clothes and a plate of fresh pancakes that he adds to the already colossal spread.

He smiles at me as I look at him strangely

"Wh..what's all of this for Dad?"
" Uummm Mark. What's going on? Are you leaving us??" My mom walks into the dining room. Just as surprised as me.
" No" laugh "I" laugh "Just" laugh "wanted to spoil my girls." Dad continues to laugh as he pulls out both of our chairs.
" I love you girls, I do but you are both so dramatic."
" We love you too Dad but seriously what's this about. You never cook."
" I know sweetie and I'm sorry about that" he looks at my mother"

My dad has always been a workaholic. He always left the house before we woke up and came back late at night after we both went to sleep.

Even on the weekends he worked long hours in his home office. I almost forgot how he looked.

" I've missed you girls so much. Its a privilege for me to cook and spend time with you. My girls. I'll never give that up again" he stated with tear filled eyes.

"Ok. I'm not going to argue with it. I'm just happy to have you here with up" mom stated wiping her eyes.

She has always been a softie.

**Flashback over**

After eating breakfast with Mom, I cleaned up the kitchen and set off for school.

She always said I was the perfect daughter. All of the friends were jealous because their kids weren't as "well behaved" as her daughter.

Truth is I was suffocating trying to be the perfect daughter. Now, I didn't want to go too crazy but I just wanted a normal childhood. I felt like that was being taken from me with all the pressure of trying to be the perfect kid.

I wussed out. I didn't even bring it up to her. My desire to please my mom is struggling with my desire to find myself and I don't know who is going to win.

Maybe she doesn't have to know just yet. I mean I still have to get to know him to determine for myself if he is even worth dating.

So technically I'm not dating anyone. I'm simply verifying that he is an acceptable application to fill the position of my boyfriend.

Yea, that's it. So tonight isn't a date it's an interview

Time to get interview ready.

____________________________
Vote and comment please.

Is Iyanu wrong for not telling her mom?

How do you think the date will go with Damen?