the tree house

for : carlyd1015

you are one my best friends and you deserve a chris chapter for you to read over and over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

carly's white converse hit the dirt up to the tree house. she could hear gordie's radio, 'mr. lee' by the bobbettes playing softly. she climbed up the latter step-by-step making sure not to fall. vern fell once and broke his ankle and since the guys, excluding teddy who thought the whole ordeal was hilarious, proceeded with caution.

"where's the secret knock?" she could hear gordie's high pitched voice shout from above.

"you guys suck, you know that?" she gave the little knock and heard rustling, most likely the boys moving the makeshift table for playing cards. she pulled herself up making sure not to scrape her knee this time.

"this place is a danger zone." she noted. the boys nodded their heads in agreement as they went back to their game of scat.

"i knock." chris piped up and took a long drag from one of his father's cigs. he probably stole it from his nightstand while he was sleeping.

"you liar! you ain't got no pat hand!" teddy gave his rebuttal.

"hey guys? what's a 'pat hand' again?" the boys groaned.

"just watch verno, okay?" chris said. gordie and teddy followed chris and laid their hands down. chris had indeed won again, with teddy second, and gordie last. teddy started cackling as he threw insults at the scrawny kid.

"oh, piss up a rope!" gordie exclaimed as he through his cards down on the wooden crate table. they all laughed, carly enjoying the guys rough housing and vern always ending up in a choke hold.

the radio was playing softly and the guys continued to another game, chris explaining the rules and how to play for the 10th time this summer. their little gang was enjoying their first summer out of high-school. freshman year was finally over and the gang was trying their best to make the most out of the summer, hunts for dead bodies excluded. they didn't really talk about the weekend before junior high when they found ray brower's body. they were all a little traumatized and vern's parents needed up taking him to therapy. the whole county found out their little group found the body when word got out that ace beat up teddy for "revenge". he was arrested and hates the gang for it, but he leaves them alone and they leave the cobras alone. ace and the county hadn't forgotten the story. the guys get asked everywhere they go if it was them that found ray with his "keds knocked right off."

carly was specifically asked if she was there because "girls shouldn't see that." she was the only one that didn't mind, she wanted to be in the f.b.i and that meant seeing dead bodies as much as you see paul newman on a movie poster.

"do you guys wanna sleep over at my house this weekend?" vern piped up. "we can get a bunch of snacks and sleep in the field behind my house!" vern loved having sleepovers. most of them were vern's idea.

"i'm sure my parents wouldn't mind. they're too busy staring into space." gordie remarked. carly felt sorry for gordie, she wasn't the type to feel much about things she couldn't control but she had a soft spot for the guys. they truly were her best friends and she wouldn't know what life would be like without them, although she wanted more than a friendship with the leader of their gang. chris always caught carly's eye and make heat rise to her cheeks. she wasn't the type to let a boy get to her like that either, but he was chris chambers.. different from the other chambers. he was kind and pure, he was a good soul and always made everyone feel loved and comfortable.

the gang agreed to meet up at vern's at 11:00 am saturday morning at the tree house with their bags for the weekend. carly wasn't allowed to fully sleepover on those nights because "anything could happen." she always scoffed when you parents said so. she wished something would happen with one of them, chris. she had day dreamed about the day chris would confess his feelings, sadly that day would never come.

"holy crap! it's 6:00 already! gotta get home guys, mom is making casserole for dinner tonight!" vern was pretty excited, they all laughed as verno exited the tree house.

"yeah, my parents probably want me home by now too." gordie rolled his brown eyes and skinned crew three that were remaining before following vern. teddy decided to go too saying "mom will probably want me back too, she'll put me on the top 10 wanted list if i'm not there for dinner." carly and chris were the two remaining.

"if you want to head to dinner too you can. i'm fine here." chris shrugged and kicked his feet up nodding his head to the tunes.

"nah, unless you want me to leave." chris's eyes practically bulged out of his head by this comment. he brought his legs down and grabbed carly's hands.

"no! i want you to stay! i don't want to run you off, truth is carly... i want to spend all the time in the world with you. i see the way i make you blush and little nudges you give me. it's cute and it's made me realize how much you mean to me." it was an understatement to say that carly was shocked. she never knew chris felt the same way. her eyes widened and she tried to find the words to say. chris stared from her eyes to her lips and finally went for it.

"i... chris... haha-" chris cut her off my slamming his lips against hers. they moved in a rhythm like a beatles song. carly couldn't feel more content. chris was hers and carly was his.