chapter twenty eight • "meeting"

Johnny.

"Bro, wake up! Your meeting is soon!"

I blinked a few times before eventually sitting up. A part of me panicked for a second because I didn't realize I was in California, not in Arizona. After I got over that, I groaned and rolled out of the bed.

"They should really get blackout curtains," I rubbed at my eyes.

"Are you seriously complaining right now? We are in Maddie and Kenzie's house! They let us stay here!" Jack said in shock.

"I know, I'm grateful," I told him. "I'm just not a morning person."

After brushing our teeth, we went downstairs to the kitchen. The girls were already there and were already ready for the day. Maddie was heating up French toast sticks.

"Finally you guys are up!" Lauren "greeted" us.

"I was already up; your brother was the one having his beauty sleep," Jack scoffed. I punched him in the arm.

"Gourmet breakfast is ready," Maddie said sarcastically when she took the sticks out of the toaster oven. Everyone grabbed some and put it on a plate. We sat down at the counter.

"Are you excited for your meeting?" Brynn asked me with a smile. I put a piece of the french toast in my mouth to stall my answer. My feelings about this meeting couldn't be explained. Yes, this was what I wanted for as I long as I could talk. But I was nervous nonetheless.

"Sure," I decided to say. "I still can't believe I'm even having this meeting, though."

"Because you deserve it!" Kenzie chimed in. "Trust me, I was nervous when I had my first meetings about...well, everything I'm doing now. Basically just let your mom do all the talking, and you'll be good." Everyone laughed.

"Wait, where even is our mom?' Lauren questioned.

"Oh, she and my mom went out for breakfast," Kenzie answered. "They should be back soon. I swear they're best friends now!"

A little later, we finished breakfast. Jack and I went to go get ready.

. . .

Before I knew it, we were at the meeting. Melissa drove my mom, me and Kenzie, to a building somewhere in L.A. It looked very official, and I was already intimidated.

We walked through the doors. A tall middle aged man was waiting by the receptionist desk, tapping against his phone. He looked up and walked over to us.

"Johnny, this is my manager, Mark," Kenzie introduced. I decided to shake his hand to be professional, but on the inside I was still apprehensive.

"It is nice to officially meet you," Mark told me. "I was very impressed with you and Mackenzie's performance at your school's showcase. I would manage you myself, but I'm just too busy with my clients. So I decided to set up a meeting with a few of my manager friends. Follow me to the meeting room."

We followed Mark down a hall, and we stopped at brown double doors labeled, "First Meeting Room." Mark took out a key and opened the door. The room was very spacious. Floor to ceilings windows lit up the entire room. The only things inside were a long wooden table and black rolling chairs. Three men were sitting down.

Mark motioned for us to sit. I sat down between my mom and Kenzie. Mark took the fourth sit in front of us.

"Johnny, meet Brian Matthews, Joe Williams, and Tyrone Romaine," Mark introduced. "Brian and Joe are from Hollywood Records, and Tyrone is visiting from Universal Music Canada. You guys are from Canada, right?"