Ch. 27- The Quiet Moment

Start from the beginning

My memories need to hurry up and return to me. Why did I have to leave Inalia? What happened to the guild and Inalia, what attack caused so much destruction? And what happened to my father?

Should I return to Inalia and my family? I don't even know if my family is even alive! But returning to my guild and finishing my assassin training might help turn the tides in this new war. But I would have to leave my friends. I wouldn't even be able to tell them where I was going! Assassins are meant to be cold and distant to everyone except those in their guild. I would have to become anonymous.

"You okay? You have been scribbling away in that journal for quite a while now." Dex asked, sitting down next to his adoptive cousin.

"Yeah, just trying to figure stuff out and put some pieces together," Sophie explained. Dex leaned over and tried to sneak a peek at Sophie journal, to which she snapped it closed. Dex fake pouted, and Sophie stuck her tongue out at him.

"Did Uncle Grady and Aunt Edaline give that to you?" Dex asked, motioning towards the journal.

"Yeah..." Sophie said shyly.

"You seem to have a lot going on in there. Some days it is complex algorithms and theories, the next they are watercolor drawings and diary entries." Dex said, referencing to the few times he had seen the journal.

"I use it for everything. As we grew older, I had trouble figuring out what to do with my ideas and thoughts. They were always racing through my head, and I felt like I never had any time to sort through them. Writing everything down helps me. Some awkward thing I do, I guess." Sophie explained. Dex nodded but then stopped and whipped his head towards Sophie.

"Say that again?" Dex asked.

"Some awkward thing I do?" Sophie repeated, confused. Dex continued to stare at her.

"Repeat after me. I should go to the ship." Dex said slowly. Sophie was starting to get annoyed.

"I should go to the ship," Sophie repeated. Dex stared at her in confusion. He started repeating the world ship over and over again to her.

"Okay, what are you doing?" Sophie asked, annoyed, and confused.

"Say ship again." Dex insisted.

"Fuck no, what are you doing Dex?" Sophie asked.

"Have you been speaking French again?" Dex asked. Sophie remembered that all her friends thought her accent was from her time in France, not her actual accent from Inalia.

"No... why?" Sophie trailed.

"Your accent is suddenly way stronger. You are saying ship like sheep. I have no idea why your accent is coming back and so strong!" Dex said pondering. Sophie was trying to restrain her accent, but she has been practicing her Inalian again murmuring to herself and thinking out loud in Inalian, and her accent has come back.

"It's just something that happens Dex; it's no big deal." Sophie stuttered, trying to brush it off. Dex was about to question her further until he was called over by Biana.

"Hey Dex, bet you I can race you and Petra over to the storage shed!" Biana yelled, winking at Sophie. Biana knew that Sophie was getting stressed with her cousin's constant questions, so decided to pull away Dex for a little while. Dex looked at Sophie apologetically for a minute before jumping up. Sophie waved him away, saying it was okay with her that he was cutting their conversation short.