All's Well That Ends Well

Start from the beginning

Claire laughs.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

You’re a better person than I made you out to be on television. I’m sorry. And even though you convinced me to go along with things, I did agree. I’m just as much to blame.

David pulls Claire’s ring out from his pocket.

DAVID VERDIN

Then, for the second time, for real...Claire, will you marry me?

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Yes.

Jesse, Ian, and the other customers start celebrating behind them, again, like their home team just won the game.

INT. AUDITORIUM – NIGHT

Two years later. Ella is on stage, speaking into a microphone.

ELLA

...her hard work and dedication have paid off. In the past two years, the reading comprehension test scores in the HamiltonUnifiedSchool District have risen dramatically. And for that, I am pleased to present Claire Le Mayes with the XYZ award.

Claire enters the stage and takes the certificate award from Ella. They hug. Claire adjusts the microphone and Ella stands off behind and to the side of her. Claire has some note cards she reads off of.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Thank you so much. Two years ago, I wouldn’t have imagined being here. All I had was an idea, and no roadmap of how to get there. When I met my husband, David, he told me that an idea needs vision.

David, in the audience, smiles. 

CLAIRE LE MAYES (CONT’D)

Who would have known the Sprinkle-Wash guy was right?

A low murmur of laughter runs through the crowd.

CLAIRE LE MAYES (CONT’D)

Adding graphic novels to the curriculum of district schools was the vision I needed. Not only has it modernized our English classes, but it has done so in a way that is reaching the kids. And the results have spoken. So thank you for giving my vision a chance.

INT. FANCY CONDO – NIGHT

David and Claire host a party celebrating Claire’s award. Friends and acquaintances are there – Robert, Ian, Jesse, Jesse’s Wife, Nelson, Ella, as well as some people we don’t know. The champagne, wine, and beer are flowing freely, and there are appetizers on the table. It’s an adult party. In the corner, David is explaining his latest idea to Nelson and a few other people. He holds a holey sock in one hand.

DAVID VERDIN

Having a wife has given me a ton of new ideas. Claire kept throwing away my socks once they got a hole in them. One hole. And the rest of the sock still had life left. It seemed like such a waste.

He picks up a package on a side table. It’s labeled PATCH-IT. He opens the package.

DAVID VERDIN (CONT’D)

That’s why I came up with this. It’s a stick-on patch for your holey socks. Washer and dryer safe. 

He peels off the backing and slaps it on the holey sock.

DAVID VERDIN (CONT’D)

Just peel the backing, stick it on your sock, and voila! Your sock is repaired. Comes in white, black, and blue.