Yui chatted me about her conversation with Yukino. Seeing her smiling while sharing it to me feels nice somehow. As we approach our classroom door, we can hear the chattering from inside. Now, what happened next is something I didn't expect. I opened the door and both of us entered the classroom. There was silence, all eyes are on us. One among them is glaring at me. Yumiko, one of Yui's friend from Hayato's clique. I don't quite understand the hostility and honestly I don't care. Yui however carried on, she's a natural at times like this. "Yahallo! What's going on? Were we late?" Hina replied, "Yahallo Yui, well you're just in time before start of class." Yui headed were their group is inside the classroom usually, exchanging pleasantries as usual. I on the other hand, just went straight to my desk and sat down. I brought my book out and started reading it. The class is about to start, better get this day over with.

————————Couple of hours later during class———————

"What unnecessary banter..." I mumbled while my head was laying down top of my desk. There's a discussion going on, apparently the school decided to do an event to welcome the freshman and it will include fund raising for nearby day care that's about to open. They are debating if whether holding a school fair is better to raise funds than holding a stage play. And Ms. Shizuka is just standing at the side of the room, in utter disbelief that they're not going anywhere. If you look at it, the first choice not only displays the creativity of the students with the stuff they will be making and selling out of, the second choice shows that involvement of everyone to make a successful play. Seriously, why don't they just settle it with a toss coin and be done with it. I'd like to pass the day with less noise and hassle. I can't even go out of the room and go to my special hang out place for crying out loud.

"What do you think Hachiman?" a faint voice asked me. Oh, I remember this voice, its soft and warm. I glanced to the direction of the voice and I saw the person standing there, with these inquisitive eyes. Our eyes met and it made me almost jump out of my seat. It was Saika, and he smiled at me. Why do I feel so confused!? I answered, "Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. Both have good intentions anyway. They just have to settle with one choice and wing it." Saika peered to the direction of the group of people arguing which kind of event should be held. I then realized that the group who wants a fair to happen are Hayato's clique. On the other side, it's Saki with the few other students and surprisingly, Yui is with her. I thought she would definitely side with Yumiko since they are close but it seems I'm mistaken.

"Yui? Why are you siding with her? I thought we decided to do the fair?" Yumiko mockingly asked Yui. I can see Yui trembling for a bit but she held her ground and replied, "Yes I agreed that your idea was great. But still, I kinda want to make a play. Saki is really good at making costumes..." I can see the embarrassment from Saki's face, but I continued to listen to Yui. I believe she's about to arrive at her point on why she really wants to do a play. I kinda want to hear it. "And if experience taught me something, being able to show them a play where people can relate and appreciate means so much more than buying things...I think." Ohh, that may have touched a nerve Yui. Based on Yumiko's facial expression, she didn't like your answer. To be honest, her answer is too idealistic. It is based on something intangible, like human emotions. People nowadays wants what's practical. It is the reason why people value expensive over simple ones. As an example, if you give someone a handmade birthday greeting card, they'd probably say thanks to you but will not tell you that you are being cheap. Compared to someone giving a bag or a pair of shoes, you would see the recipient smiling from ear to ear because it is more valuable than a handmade greeting card.

"What? You can't honestly think that doing a play will earn enough funds? What if the number of audiences isn't big as you expected? You can't possibly let the people who watch go home with an empty pair of hands?" asked Yumiko. Nailed it. Yui was silent, I can also see Saki looking down feeling defeated. I don't know Yumiko personally, but she's the kind of girl who dwells on the material side of things, or at least I assume so. Her choice of words only cemented my previous point about people nowadays being more practical. But while it is true, what others feel does not concern you but people will always find what makes them happy. Materialistic things are just a part of it, what you feel about it is something else. Hence, the point between the handmade birthday greeting card and a bag and a pair of shoes doesn't matter. It's the fact that you care enough to go out of your way and greet someone during their birthday. No, materialistic things don't always matter. Plus, I want to make this event successful for Komachi. I have no reason to help since the Service Club is no more, but I am a student in this school, my sister, Yui and everyone else as well. Therefore, I concluded that no matter how much I avoid it, I am still involved. I have to say few things as a student, whatever their reaction is, is none of my concern.