Chapter 13, Part 1

"You want Natoum to climb the mountain?" I asked the chief. "You want him to leave his bedroom, even?"

"Traditionally, there are six pilgrims for five challenges, should one fall by the wayside. You have brought only five. These are our ways, and the ways of the Green Crystal. They are not to be debated."

I thought of the sixth exceptional one, the one whose tribe lived deep underground, and who denied joining us on our journey. Would he have taken on this challenge in place of Natoum, if he were here? I did not know.

"I'll talk to Natoum," I said.

It was a long walk back to our beach, made longer by knowing what I had to do once I got there.

I thought of Natoum, hidden away in his dimly-lit room with his drawings and writings, how would I convince him to face this challenge? Could I convince him? Would this be as far as we'd come, because of his reticence? If so, when and how would reveal the truth of the Green Crystal to him and the others?

Through the brush, past the pit of bones and back into the Sollicles' village. They had small campfires dotted up and down the beach, playing their and bearded string instruments. Each group of Sollicles focused attention on our ship, still moored just off the beach.

"Fourth challenge, fourth challenge," they chanted. "Fourth challenge."

"Stop it," I said. "Don't pressure him! Don't you know..."

My words were cut short by an arrow landing with a spat in the sand near me. It was Shale's way of getting my attention, I knew.

I saw him there, sitting hunched over on the bow of the ship, once more covered head to toe in his distinctive robes, the familiarity of which comforted me.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked.

He gave a slow nod, as he helped me climb aboard. Kwad stood next to Shale, both muscular arms folded in front of him. Ritt was on deck, just behind Kwad, his usual wide grin now just a warm smile.

Then, there was Natoum, outside, under the suns, limping forward from behind the three of them.

He walked up the bow, put both hands on the railing, and looked around. The Sollicles stopped their drumming and all watching Natoum, quietly, intently.

Natoum's eyes examined the beach, the island beyond, and all the clusters of Sollicles who now showed him reverence.

"Am I needed?" he said.

After all my worrying of what to say to him, and how to convince him to leave his room and help, it was at this moment he met me half way, so all I had to do was say a single word. I knew that one word was all I needed to convince him to join me and do whatever it took for us all to succeed, no matter how challenging or dangerous. So I did it. I said that one important, pivotal word.

"Yes."

Kwad lowered the ramp, allowing Natoum to walk down to the beach, as opposed to how the rest of us merely climbed up and down the side of the ship.

I worried how Natoum would react, being so long out of his room and in the outside, but he did not panic or shrink from the unfamiliar sights and sounds around him. He wiped a streak in the sand with his one good foot, and looked out over the crystalline sea, where the waves of crystal fines slowly lapped against the thicker, harder sand. He then looked up at the dimming evening sky, slowly breathing in and out, seemingly enjoying the fresh air.

"Are you all right?" I said. "The beach is uneven. I can help you."

"Vali, I built this leg to walk. Let me walk with it."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I know it must be hard for you to be out of your room, and..."

He held up a hand. "I can function. I can manage. Tell me about this challenge."

We sat on the sand, by one of the Sollicles campfires. I told him more detail about the challenges faced by Kwad and Shale.

"They nearly died, and this was what they were good at."

"I'm supposed to climb up the side of the mountain? At the top, there will be some means of bringing the rest of you up. Then, you, Vali, will be the one who recovers the Green Crystal for us all. It seems simple enough."

"I don't know how to ask this, but..."

He was kind enough to finish my question for me. "Can I climb? We'll have to see, won't we?"

"They'll take us at dawn. Do you want to go back to your room and sleep?"

"No," he said. "I've been in there too long, I think. Tonight I will sleep under the open sky."

I smiled. "Then so shall I."

Kwad brought us our sleeping bags, while the Sollicles provided some fruit to eat. I looked up to Shale, still sitting watch on the tip of the bow of the ship.

"Is he all right?" I asked.

"He still feels much pain, but he will survive," Kwad said. "He's learned to survive many hardships, I imagine."

Kwad handed Natoum his sleeping bad. "It is good to see you, friend. Are we friends?"

"Of course," Natoum said. "We've come this far together, haven't we?"

"I've been manning the boat, gathering the food, fighting the beasts, and you've been in your room."

"I designed the boat. I designed your weapons."

"Stop," I said. "Don't fight, you two."

"No fighting here," Kwad said. "Just observations."

Kwad walked back to the boat, and Natoum unrolled his sleeping pack. "It's complicated," he said. "Being around others. Having conversations. Confrontations. So many wants and needs. Overwhelming."

He rested back on the sleeping mat, and I did the same on mine, looking at him from across the campfire. "You're doing very well," I said.

"Walking. Building. Climbing a mountainside. These are not challenges. Interacting with others? Having a conversation with another person? That's a real challenge."

I had a thought to say more, but he closed hiseyes and slowed his breathing, clearly wanting to sleep, so I did the same. 

# # # # 

Next: "Not rock. Crystal."