The Sorting Ceremony

'Suspicious' is the first word that came to mind as the doors immediately opened. I mean, who knock if someone was clearly waiting?

A tall, black-haired witch stood there in emerald green robes. She had a very stern face, making her someone to not cross.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Mr. Hagrid said.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here," Professor McGonagall said before pulling the door wide open.

The entrance hall was so big, you could have fit the Dursleys' entire house in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts. The ceiling was too high to properly make out. A magnificent marble staircase facing us led to the upper floors.

We followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor.

I could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right.

The rest of the school must have been in there.

Instead of leading us there, Professor McGonagall showed us first years into a small empty chamber off the hall.

We crowded in, standing closer together than appreciated, peering around nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall said, "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the great hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be your something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history, and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of each year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourself up as much as you can while you are waiting." Her eyes lingered on Neville's clock, which was fastened under his left ear, and Ron's smudged nose.

Harry nervously tried to flatten his hair.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," McGonagall said, "Please wait quietly." She then left the chamber.

Harry swallowed before looking to Ron. "How exactly do they sort us into houses?"

"Some sort of test, I think," Ron answered, equally as nervous, "Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking."

I felt my heart drop. I was always the dumber of the twins, and I doubt it was suddenly change before the entire school. I also had stage fright, so that wouldn't help anything. Furthermore, I didn't know any magic, so I would probably bomb whatever test they provided.

Thankfully, everyone looked equally as terrified.

Hermione was muttering fast about all the spells she learned and which one that she'd need.

I tried hard not to listen as I was drowning in my own inner turmoil. I had never been so nervous, not even when I took home a school report saying I somehow turned the teacher's wig into ashes.

Harry kept his eyes fixed to the door.

At any second, Professor McGonagall would return and show us to our doom.