chapter twelve

THEY'D decided on taking Steve's car, or Steve had, and once they were in and having waved a goodbye to Eve's aunt on the porch, they reversed off the drive.

"Is it always like that?" Steve asked, a sloppy and untrained grin on his face. Evelyn laughed as she spoke, cringing.

"Yeah, I'm sorry if it's too much." Steve shook his head insisting it wasn't and he meant it. It was an addictive feeling to be loved: to feel carefree and wanted; to feel safe and relaxed enough to be goofy and stupid. It was then he realised Evelyn had broke through his usual attire whenever she was around, so he cleared his throat and tried again. He wanted to get this stupid lizard and then go and see Nancy, he told himself. And that's all he wanted.

Once they were back with Dustin, everyone but Evelyn in their clothes from the night before, they found themselves walking down the old train tracks running through Hawkins. They all had matching yellow rubber gloves covering their hands and a dirty white bucket full of diced meat chunks. They made a trail with it. Dustin and Steve seemed to branch off behind Eve, but Evelyn was humming the songs that were playing on the radio that morning to herself, and hadn't minded at all.

"Alright, so let me get this straight. You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who-who you just met?"

"Okay, that's grossly oversimplying things." Dustin said as he threw some meat on the trail Eve had started to create.

"Why would some girl like some nasty slug anyway?"

"An inter-dimensional slug? Because it's awesome?" Evelyn chuckled to herself and shook her head. If this were real, even though it were crazy, Eve still didn't understand why Dustin would keep some alien anyway.

"Well even if she thought it was cool - which she didn't - I... I don't know I just feel like you're trying way too hard, man."

"Well not everyone can have your perfect hair, alright?"

"It's not about the hair." Steve put his hand between them, "the clue with girls is just acting like you don't care."

"Even if you do?" Steve nodded.

"Yeah exactly. Drives them nuts." He found himself looking at Evelyn when he was trying to think.

"Then you just wait," He said snapping his full attention back to Dustin, knocking his arm with a lowered voice. Both looking to check Evelyn can't hear. "Till you feel it."

"Feel what?"

"It's like before its gonna storm, you know? You can't see it but you can feel it like this..uh...electricity?"

"Oh, like in the electromagnetic field, when the clouds in the atmosphere-"

"No, no, no. Like a-like a sexual electricity." Dustin stopped.

"Oh!"

"You feel that," Steve said added, "and then you make your move."

"So that's when you kiss her?"

"Whoa, slow down Romeo," Steve shook his head with a handful of beef chunks in one hand. "Sure, okay. Some girls, they want you to be aggresive you know? Strong, hot and heavy like a lion. But others you gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like uh, like a ninja."

"What type is Nancy?"

"Nancy's different" Steve said quickly, "She's different from the other girls."

"Yeah, She seems pretty special I guess."

"Yeah, she is."

"But this girls special too you know? There's just something about her."