The Emotions of the Ocean

Start from the beginning

"Thanks, um, you- I mean, if you want that is, you can put your jacket in my backpack. There's plenty of room." There actually wasn't a lot of room, but it sounded like a nice gesture. He surprisingly began to shrug off his jacket, nicely folding it as he handed the large garment over to you. It was heavier than it looked, probably thanks to the large chain Jotaro attached to the collar, you felt something in one of the breast pockets, possibly whatever it was he'd bought earlier. It took some effort to put it in your bag, since his jacket was rather bulky and your poor bag was already quite full, but eventually you managed to wrangle most of it in without crushing whatever he may have in it. You turned back around and looked out over the ocean, or rather pretended to, as instead you eyed Jotaro out of the corner of your eye. His usual light charcoal shirt clung to him, an odd lavender colored strap wrapped around his left shoulder, it's purpose unknown to you, perhaps it's just an aesthetic thing. You weren't sure why you were so interested in looking at him all of a sudden, it's not like you hadn't seen a jacket-less Jotaro before; you grew up around him, of course you'd seen him without it. But still, it felt odd in this moment. Instead of a blurry figure across the way or from the other side of the room, he was a tangible-in-clear-view-figure sitting next to you.

Still having the sunscreen bottle from earlier, he put some on his hand and began rubbing his own arms with it, moving to rub the back of his neck. Your attention was drawn to something on the base of his neck, right where the curve of his left shoulder began. You turned your head towards him, head cocked in confusion.

"What is that?" You asked, scooting a hair closer to him out of curiosity. You didn't mean to actually ask that loud, not wanting to seem uncouth.

As if self conscious of it, he covered it with a large hand, looking away from you for a moment. "It's a birthmark." He said simply. You'd never seen it before, but then again you usually didn't spend a lot of time in the past oogling Jotaro, nor was his neck and shoulder area usually on display.

"That's pretty cool." He slid his hand away, letting it rest upon his knee, giving you a chance to look at it again. You turned to your bag and rummaged through it, looking for the candy that you'd bought. Now it was your turn to be self conscious. "I got these," You held up the bag to show him, a light dusting of red on your cheeks, "the other day. I know you said you didn't want anything, but I thought that these would be like of cute, see," You offered him the bag, attempting to put his attention on that instead of your rambling self, "they're sea animals." You concluded lamely, wishing you could just bury yourself into the sand; this was a dumb idea. You mentally shrugged and opened the bag, setting in between the two of you as you drew your knees up wrapping your arms around them as you smiled to yourself, watching Leon and (B/f) try and jump the waves, only to get knocked down. You absentmindedly grabbed for a gummy candy, only to accidentally end up grabbing at Jotaro's hand instead. You instantly snatched your hand away out of embarrassment, "I'm sorry!" You said quickly, abandoning your mission for a piece of candy.

"You apologize too much. It's so damn annoying." He said, his brows furrowed at you. You almost opened your mouth to apologize for apologizing too much, but caught yourself. "All you do is apologize around me." If you weren't so in tune with the minimal expression tweaks of Jotaro, you'd never had noticed the very slight droop in his shoulders and how his brows softened as he just idly looked over the ocean, eyes an intense aqua. Of course you apologized a lot to him, he could easily snap you in half, not to mention the fact that half of his school life was spent yelling at girls who dared to bother him.

"So," You said, breaking the odd tension between the two of you as you looked over at him, arms still tightly wrapped around your legs, "by the way, I never did thank you for the other night, when you helped me at the grocery store. So, um, thanks- er, thank you, Jotaro." His eyes widened a fraction as his head turned fully towards you. His name. You'd actually said his name; well, you said it to him, rather. You could swear a light pink dusted his cheeks for a moment as he turned his head away from you, softly muttering, "Yare Yare... you're welcome."