11: The Coronation and a Declaration

Start from the beginning

"I solemnly swear to do so." Nicky replies in a strong voice.

"Will you to your power cause law and justice, in mercy, to be executed according to your judgments?" The archbishop asks.

"I will."

"Then I anoint, bless and consecrate you on this date, in front of these witnesses, to declare you as King Nikolaos Charles Sweyn Heinrich Drembleton for as long as you may live." The bishop announces as he places the glittering crown on Nicky's head.

A roar of applause highlights the room as Nicky stands, now a King. His subjects bow to him, whereas the other royal families simply nod in respect as custom. Nicky sends me another wink as he exits the hall, and I hope that I will be seated near to him for the royal meal and perhaps get a dance in at the ball.

***

Well it turns out I was not put on the list of important people to be sat on the King's table, instead unfortunately sat next to Leven on one side (who made Princess Kristina swap with him)and Ariana on the other. Every time he tired to talk to me, I steadfastly ignored him. Ariana was my saving grace. Nicky and I did catch each other's eye a few times, sharing secret smiles, but for the most part my ear was talked off by Leven, and Nicky looked rather engaged by some of the Lords and Dukes of his land.

When we (finally) retire to the ballroom, I leave Leven behind in the dust and hurry into the hall after Nicky, dismayed to see him already surrounded by a cloud of beautiful, eligible young women. Jealousy rears its ugly head in me as I turn away from him, instead heading over to the buffet table to the right of the full orchestra, tinkering over the background of nonconsequential conversation. I quickly take a crystal glass of brandy, wincing at the strong taste. My feelings for Nicky are confused... I do not want to let my views go and just become a pretty object for men to coo over, but I do want Nicky. I guess I really need to have a conversation with him. As I am sulking in the corner with my back to the world, I am surprised when there is a soft tap on my shoulder, and turning around I see Nicky there in all his angelic glory with a soft smile pulling on his lips.

Just one smile from him is enough to melt my icy heart.

"You look amazing... so, so perfect." He whispers, causing my breath to get stuck in my throat.

"So do you." I reply timidly with red cheeks.

"Will you dance with me Princess Bellatrix?" He then asks, stooping into a low bow whilst reaching for my hand.

"Of course." I agree with a triumphant smile and curtsy to him, allowing him to lead me onto the marble dance floor.

Shocked gasps and rumours already start spreading round the hall, and I receive enough dirty looks from annoyed Princesses and Ladies to put me in an early grave. Pulling me tight into his chest, the world blurs out as all I can see and feel is Nicky, the way his arm clutches my tiny waist and tenderly holds my hand, and I cannot help but feel like I am home when I am with him. As we start to sway, my mind keeps going over our secret kiss, and I am unable to blot out the urge to kiss him again, my cheeks staining red as the remembrance of what happened between us last night jumps back to the front of my mind. He stares as me as if I placed the moon and stars in the sky, and I know that he would never purposefully hurt me. He is not Briar. He really cares for me and places my happiness before his.

"Trixie..." He whispers, and I realise that other couples have now joined us on the dance floor. "If you keep looking at me like that then I will have to kiss you." He groans into my ear, causing me to flush accordingly.

"Oh... s-sorry." I reply.

"You do not need to be sorry Trixie. You are like a siren, always so tempting. So tell me my love – will you be mine, forever?" He asks, his eyes challenging me to deny him what he already knows.