Chapter 29: Too Much (Lemon)

((Author's Note: Does have a lemony bit. Will show a couple ***'s before and after it if you wish to avoid it.))

During the rest of the party, you and your friend got to talk to a lot of people, making sure to keep a distance from Tom. You knew people thought you two were still together. You're sure people are already bringing up the fact that you didn't come together or that you're hanging around apart from one another. You were trying to think of a good excuse, just in case you're asked.
You're not quite sure why you want to keep up the lie, though. Are you trying to protect him, or protect yourself? Do you think people finding out you two have broken up would ruin your career as an actress? Do you fear it would make your movie fail? Or was it deeper than that?
Maybe...you were trying to hang on to the last bit of an amazing relationship. Amazing memories.
You can...almost hear Tom's voice, as if he's standing right next to you.

You were cut out of your thoughts as a reporter shoved a microphone in your face. You blushed a bit with a slight wince.
"P-Pardon?" You spoke up, hearing a slight chuckle beside you. You turned your head a bit, your eyes lighting up slightly when you saw who was beside you.
It was Tom, standing next to you without any sort of tension. You couldn't help but feel slightly...happy. You felt happy to see him smiling next to you.
"How're you two feeling tonight?" The reporter repeated, smiling at you.
"O-Oh, I'm feeling great!" You managed to speak up, somehow forming a happy smile. A waitress came by with some drinks, Tom grabbing one for both of you. He handed you yours with a polite grin. You felt warm getting to look at his big, blue eyes again.
"It's been a fun night.." Tom spoke to the reporter, having a full conversation with the both of you. Tom was able to speak about you and him as if everything had been perfectly fine. He even had a great excuse as to why you two didn't show up together, mentioning the struggling distance between where you two now lived.
"I actually didn't know she was going to be here tonight.." Tom chuckled, turning to look at you. "I had planned to visit her after the play was done..."
"Awe, then I bet this feels like a lovely reunion!" The reporter smiled brightly at you.

You weren't sure if what Tom was saying was true, but hearing him talk about the distance between you two got rid of that excitement and happiness you felt in your stomach, annoyance and nausea replacing it. You are reminded of the last conversation you had, which resulted in a fight, all because of a misunderstanding. Maybe this was your chance to get answers. He wouldn't listen to you then, understandably, but maybe he would listen to you now.
You didn't really have enough time to think about what you said. For a majority of the night, all you did was drink, dance and talk. You had pretty much lost your friend in the crowd, but you were able to talk and catch up with Tom as if nothing was wrong. With all the little drinks, you even became tipsy enough to laugh and slightly brush his arm, and even caught yourself openly flirting with him. He had such an effect on you. Even if you felt a little angrier on the inside as the night went on, you two were perfect actors, able to play the part of a loving, flawless relationship.

You got a text late into the night that your friend would be waiting outside, ready to leave. Without giving much of a goodbye, you told Tom you were leaving. You were both a little tipsy, but you just wanted to get out of there now that you could. You were starting to feel a little overwhelmed, having to fake a smile for such a long time. Tom did kind of reach for your as you retreated into the bathroom, closing the door. You were a little drunk, so you checked yourself in the mirror to make sure you hadn't been crying without realizing it. You were upset with yourself for going through with this fake happiness with Tom. He's been lying the whole night about you two, but what could you really do? Announce your breakup at a famous event? Cuss him out days before his big play? Even with how upset you were, you couldn't do that to him. You couldn't ruin that smile.

As you finished fixing yourself in the mirror, you heard a knock on the door. "Almost done!" You called, but that just made the door open. You realized now you hadn't even locked it. You really were a little tipsier than you thought you were, and who had come inside just made you feel worse.
It was Tom, again.
He closed the door and locked it behind him, so you two wouldn't be disturbed. He didn't look as cheerful as he did before.
"Why didn't you tell me you were coming to this event?" He asked you, his smile from before completely gone.
"What the fuck are you doing in here?" You asked, looking at him like he was crazy. He just locked you two in the only bathroom in the building, and you were supposed to go meet your friend outside to leave. "I'm supposed to leave soon.."
"You said you couldn't move up here, and then a month later you have the money to come to this event?" He spoke, crossing his arms.
"What the fuck does it matter? Why are you lying to everyone?" You asked with a slight glare. "You're acting like we're still together. For what? To save the movie we're in?"
"I haven't been lying to anyone." Tom huffed. "My friends know we're not together anymore, and now you've absolutely confused them by coming here. You've confused everyone."
"Well, maybe I thought it'd be funny.." You replied with an annoyed smile, reminded of the last thing Tom had said to you "A funny joke, cause I know all about jokes, right? It's all a bloody joke to me."
Tom rolled his eyes, stepping closer. "Don't do that, (Y/N).." He sighed. "Just answer the question."
"I came here with one of my friends." You replied. "Her boyfriend couldn't come with her, so she gave me the spare ticket. I didn't even know you were gonna be here."
"You didn't think you'd run into me at all? In the UK?" Tom asked, wincing some. "Do you honestly think I'll believe that?"
"I had hoped I wouldn't run into you." You admitted with a glare.